• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hep Hep- Front hub spat out- Ptooey!

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
All HAil the EB Gods :) ...consumate bowing and scraping as usual...

I got a 73 EB automatic with twin stick. Has run great to this point. ( sounds like what you always hear at a yard sale when you ask whether the lawn mower runs... "worked the LAST time I used it" :)

Last night when I was ready to leave work , after starting my 73 I put her in gear (automatic) and stepped on the gas... no go...Hmmm- is the e brake on? Nope- seems she slipped out of gear on the floor. It's a split shift front and rear sticks- so lo n hi Front and lo n hi rear- usually kept in front hi and rear neutral- but she wont go in in front- or if she does she won't stay- and at times- there is moaning and clicking- other than just gears not meshing. Transmission problems? Got out and checked the fluid...OK- I finally decide to try the rear wheels- and figure I'll drive carefully home in rear hi with the hubs locked. Get out lock the hubs- and Voila! she goes in- so I'm humping it up the hill on the steep gravel drive when I hear a weird hi-pitched whine, well - I decide to drive slowly around the block to see if she's safe to get on the big road, and at the bottom of the first hill while making my first hard turn, I hear a ring and roll sound, like something hit the tarmac and made for the ditch. I back up and park to look and to my dismay I find the pcs of my left front hub have been rejected like a unaccepted transplant. Ptooey! into the street! The outer part (that you lock) three geared rings and what looked like a flat ring that is now a "C" ontead of an "O". Looking in the hub well, I see the spring, which comes out when pulled, and the center gear tube, that's stuck in the middle. So I drove back to work and parked and got a ride. What's the deal? Do I have to rebuy the whole hub? because I want exactly what was in there- not a different one form the right side. Awww- poor girl.

Diagnosis?

What do I do? Where do I start?

Thanks in advance :)

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D What typ of hub did you have was it stock if so I have a 5 gal buckit full of them can fix you uf cheap .%) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p