• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Here's a question for #8800 POST

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... so My Bronco last night .. I've been told my mechanic that Diesels can't back fire... BUT It sure semed like mine back fired last night . & Went to runing like crap.
.. SO It pops & blows out a gray smoke ... Not nearly as black as when you step on it & it rolls black smoke & it's running good .
My Bronco was bucking & pitching .. & I Had to keep on the gas pedal just to keep it running & It what I called back fired every 30 ft until I got it back to the shop as I slid into the shop .. I told Hunter .. Here Hold my BEER & Watch this .. When I let off the fuel It's going to die.
.......& IT DID . IT Rolled into the shop .. & It'd not restart.
.. It was not hot. SO I LEFT IT UNTIL TODAY .
.. ...........................
... SO Today IT did not start when cold.
......... I think I dropped an Injector ... One Mechanic say He thinks its my Injection pump .. Or it has a air leak somewhere in the Fuel line system.
.. It didn't have a raw fuel smell. So I don't think it's a fuel leak sucking air .
... I have a 2nd injection pump .. That I had rebuilt about 7 years ago .. But man I'm not looking forward to installing it.
.... So what's you guys thoughts on the problem ..
.. I've put on a new fuel filter about every 300 miles. YES 300 MILES that's once a year. & It does have trash in it . My old gas tank I can't seem to get it cleaned . BUT I don't think it's dirty fuel ..
........... I think it's a blow Injector & Some think It'll be the Injection Pump
....... What do you think .
.. It'll help if your just guessing or if you have experience with diesels .
Please let us know which side the fence your on.
.... Thanks ..

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
I would say it depends on quickly it came on. If something happened in the injection pump where something moved or broke then all of this should have happened very sudden. You engine should attempt to fire even if one injector went bad and would likely get up and running.

I did ruin 3 injection pumps on a 6.9 IDI diesel swap. Ran great for about a year or 2 and then all the problems started. I eventually pulled them apart to see that all the internal parts were coated in a rusty looking material and that caused scoring in the high pressure section to the point the fuel pressure did not have enough force to push the pistons out and refill for the next injection cycle. They were spotlessly clean internally before putting them on.

Once it started acting up, as soon as you let it cool down it locked up and could get no fuel to restart and that was the end of it.

This wall all attributed to using a stock old tank. Diesel eats the insides of them and it gets through the fuel filter. Once I went plastic I never had a problem again.

Was yours getting fuel when you tried to restart it the next day? A lot of white smoke is either very retarded timing or coolant.

Dbteak

I am not sure if you are signed up on 4btswaps but that may be a better place to post our symptoms. I drive a diesel but I have no idea what could of happened. I would pull the injectors and maybe borescope the pistons and valves to see if you have any damage. I am not sure if you can get something down the injector hole. Have the injectors checked. If there is nothing wrong it looks like you may have to pull the pump and get it checked. I suspect there is something wrong with the pump since the injectors don't do much except spray fuel into the cylinder.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK I Got it fixed today.
It was air in the system ..
We turned it over. It did not start ..So I showed the grand sons how to bleed the injectors.
We did 2 & 4 1st then 1 & 3 .It cranked on 1 & was running by 3.
SO IT JUST DIDN'T SOUND PERFECT. So I told one of the boys to tighten the fuel filter .. I've had those fuel filters loose before. He was able to tighten it more than a round .
Then it ran normal so I expect that's where the air got into the system.
... I don't understand how those filters can get loose.
............ SO I hope that's all it was.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
A lot of great Q time w/the kids there.. Glad you got it fixed up

... OK I Got it fixed today.
It was air in the system ..
We turned it over. It did not start ..So I showed the grand sons how to bleed the injectors.
We did 2 & 4 1st then 1 & 3 .It cranked on 1 & was running by 3.
SO IT JUST DIDN'T SOUND PERFECT. So I told one of the boys to tighten the fuel filter .. I've had those fuel filters loose before. He was able to tighten it more than a round .
Then it ran normal so I expect that's where the air got into the system.
... I don't understand how those filters can get loose.
............ SO I hope that's all it was.