• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HID off road lights?

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
Instead of spending a couple hundy on new HID off road lights, I was wondering if anyone has made their own with a cheap kit off eBay and cheap round housings?

I like the fact that the HID only pull 35 watts.

Anyone have any ideas?

mattt

Bronco Guru
For the price of the cheap HID's at Kragen/O'Reilly it's not worth making one. 4" version is under $100 and 7" version is $125-ish.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I did. Pair of junkyard HID bulbs and ballasts. Well bodyshop is a better choice from a wreck that popped the housings but the bulbs lived. Repair is to replace the whole housing (friends are good).

I used an old pair of Cebie lamps. Little dremal, removed the stock bulb spacers and the HIDs were just right to put the kernal of light nearly the same place as the H1 bulbs and holders did. Some Paino wire (spring wire) to make clips to hold the bulbs in. Great. Housing needed a bump in the back to hold the starter module. I used the bottom of some old propane cans. The ballast were mounted to the inner fender.

The Bulbs had 3 parts.
The Bulb and holder
The igniter (sometime built into the bulb holder)
The ballast.

The ballast cranks the 12V DC to 85~90V AC. The sires from the ballast to the igniter can be cut and lengthened. Playing around I did it with 15 feet of wire, it was still happy.
The igniter cannot be lengthened from the bulb, that has fancy 40,000V stuff to light off the arc. So the housing needs to be large enough to house the ignitor and the bulb without changing that wiring. Like I mentioned, sometimes the igniter is built into the bulb holder to make things easier.

So what did all this get me? Well I can claim to have built my own HID off road lights. I did get luckey and found how to mount the bulbs to get an acceptable light pattern. I think that would be much more difficult in most other application. My junkyard housings were perfect for what I did. I don't think I could ever recreate them. I also did this years ago when aftermarket HIDs were extremely rare and insanely expensive. I really didn't have any money invested so I was a little more willing to just play around. If it came out bad, toss all the junk.

These days HIDs are a lot easier to find. I am sure that the eBay H3 conversions will probably drop there bulbs right into a cheap set of off-road light housings. But I expect that you will still have packaging issues with the igniter. I will wager that you will need to add a bubble to the housing like I did. So don't expect to buy part A and part B and have a happy slap together marriage.

Now if you do put it all together I have found the light pattern to be a little less then perfect. But for an offroad light that will be perfectly acceptable. Mine were not perfect, they had a lot of glare. But I found that glare very handy in lighting up something besides that one foot diameter spot of light 3 miles in front of me. I could not use them if ANYONE was in front of me, they were a terror to the eyes even at great distances.

Personally, I would look at the cheap ones and just be done with it. Unless you really want to play. Keep in mind it may not work and it is your money. When done they still won't be anything like the high end ones. Lighting optics is a science that is hard to get right, even for the pros.

68ford

Bronco Guru
its all relative, kragen light are hid, but DO NOT put out as much as a rally 4000 which is about 125$ i think. know several people who tried kragen hid and said just get rally 4000s.

that being said there is a hid for the rally 4000 which makes them very bright for less than 200 per light total. might go this route since im running 5 4000s and they draw quite a bit. the ballast is also internal, unlike rally 4000 hid. i do think the rally 4000hid does still put out more light and draws less amps, but they are almost 500 per light and have external ballast.

thunderbolt

Loc.
Concord, NC
I bought a pair of lights from NPD for my f100 and I plan on putting them in my bronco too. It uses the h4 bulb and has excellent lighting. What I liked about it is it doesn't have the full clear lens like most replacements going for the euro look. These retain the lines in the lens to appear stock. The faces are just less convex than a stock unit, but you don't hardly notice. The 13007-4c

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=frd07flx#

This is the actual product website, but NPD has them cheaper

http://deltatechindustries.com/site/7_headlights

I just bought a relay setup from LMC that plugs directly into your stock headlight wiring and just uses the headlight switch to turn on and off the relays instead of carrying the amperage of the lights. It was only 30 bucks. Made a hell of a difference

thunderbolt

Loc.
Concord, NC
I'll have to look at my paperwork that came with them. They are a delta tech light though. Didn't really matter to me if they were DOT approved or not (don't know how smart that is!)

OP
OP
tbrend

tbrend

Loc.
God's Country (Iowa)
Well, that makes me feel better. I have already upgraded my headlights. I did the same as just about everyone here.

I was looking for secondary or aux. lights. Sorry, I should have made that clearer.