• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hidden Front Hitch Mount

BruiserOutdoors

I have a winch in a cradle that slides into 2" hitches. Came up with the idea to cut my front bumper for a 2" hitch and hide one behind. Slap a license plate over the hole when not in use. Nobody would know or see it. I would use it to back trailers into tight spots on the property too.

Looking for pictures and ideas of others who have done something similar... anybody mount a hitch to the front of their bronco? Not really sure how i'd fit one in or what it would take.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a good idea. Seen it on some Broncos here I think, so with luck some of them are active now and can post up pics of theirs. Or maybe someone has a saved link to some of the discussions about it.

Shouldn't be too difficult as it's one of the few places with at least a little extra room under a Bronco!
Well, unless you're like me and have a radiator crossover tube that would be totally in the way of anything more than a few inches deep.

Good luck.

Paul

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
Duff's sells a hitch that bolts to the original frame holes in the rear and I believe the front bumper mount holes are the same as the rear, it would probably bolt right on. Ken

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
As broken stated, Duffs makes one that will go front or rear however it is only rated for 3500# pull. I was looking at an idea that would require a hole cut into the front bumper, you would make a plug to hold a front license plate to cover it when not in use or build a flip down plate bracket. I have not done anything yet but have put some thought into it to make sure it could handle an 8000# pull. Gussets would have to be added that would tie further back on the frame.

GloNDark

I don't see why you couldn't mount a hitch in the front. I managed to put my entire winch behind the bumper/under the front grill. So there is room there.

I thought hard about doing a hitch in the front of my bronco for the winch and in the end I decided to permanently mount it after seeing a buddies cradle winch mount bend with a slightly off center pull.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

I like the look of a factory bumper and dont want to drive around the extra weight of a winch everyday as I plan to make this my daily driver someday. I would like to bring a winch with me on my offroad adventures, just as a piece of mind!

Thanks for all the great feedback already

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It looks to me like you would be able to fabricate a hybrid between these two hitches. You could use the frame end mounts like the Duffy hitch, and mount the receiver in the center. In fact, you should be able to cut and modify the Duffy hitch.
The only problem I see is the receiver won't be very deep depending on which gas tank you have.

Attachments

• 4905B-2.jpg
    4905B-2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 17
  • draw_tite_front_mount_receiver_hitches.jpg
    draw_tite_front_mount_receiver_hitches.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 19

JSBX

Contributor
Toms Bronco has a class 3 receiver hitch for the rear but it should work on the front. I have one on the rear of my Bronco.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I had this done to mine. Turned out great.

Attachments

• winch 2.jpg
    winch 2.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 103
  • winch5.jpg
    winch5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 100
  • winch 4.jpg
    winch 4.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 111

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Here you go.

Attachments

• 100_0612.jpg
    100_0612.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_0613.jpg
    100_0613.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 100_0615.jpg
    100_0615.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 100_0616.jpg
    100_0616.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 89

No Hay

Bronco Guru
EXACTLY how I imagined doing it. Nicely done.... How'd you mount it to the frame or is it all custom?

Looks similar to COBlu77 pics. Easy project if you can weld. I can not. I had Robert Warke (Crazy Bronco Man) with CBM Performance in Oregon City do mine with other misc work. Check out his work, propane powered beast and videos. He is a true fan.

OP
OP
BruiserOutdoors

BruiserOutdoors

Looks similar to COBlu77 pics. Easy project if you can weld. I can not. I had Robert Warke (Crazy Bronco Man) with CBM Performance in Oregon City do mine with other misc work. Check out his work, propane powered beast and videos. He is a true fan.

I've seen his rig as well as some others he has worked on... outstanding skills. I've also seen some videos and can understand where he gets his name!