• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High Octane fuel

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
I have a 302 and since buying my EB about 6 months ago, I have always put the best octane in my beast assuming that, even if negligable, I get some benefits of engine life, etc? Am I way off and I should just throw the regular unleaded in there? Would it make a difference that my truck is used to the good treatment if I went back to the lower octane? Thanks guys

Mark

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
I run 91 in mine 90% of the time I fill up, a few times Ive mixed in a gallon of 100 octane just for the smell which probably isnt very smart on a roughly stock 302. :cool: With gas prices now Ill drop to 89 once a month and it doesnt make a difference. I use mine as the high school daily driver by the way.

OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
DownhillManiac99 said:
I run 91 in mine 90% of the time I fill up, a few times Ive mixed in a gallon of 100 octane just for the smell which probably isnt very smart on a roughly stock 302. :cool: With gas prices now Ill drop to 89 once a month and it doesnt make a difference. I use mine as the high school daily driver by the way.

Damn, I wish I had my ride in HS...had a harder time pullin ladies in the Tempo (at least it was a Ford and had red velvet interior). Thanks for the comments.

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
from what i understand, octane rating is a gasoline's resistance to knock and ping. if you dont have any knocking or pinging, and of course, if you dont have major engine mods -regular unleaded is fine. later on, if you add a cam or higher compression smashers, worry about some high octane then.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Octane slows the burn of the fuel. It makes the fuel more stable so it doesn't detonate before the spark (pinging). The higher compression ratios require higher octane fuel. If you don't have problems with pinging/knocking, you're throwing your money away.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I run 91 only because I HAVE TO. When I had a stock 302 I never ran anything over 87 so you are just wasting your money. If it isn't pinging, drop another octane rating. My guess is you could get away with running 87.

OP
OP
commonlaw

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
So the consensus is that if it aint pinging, no point for higher octane. No other benefits?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Unless you consider making the Saudi's and the rest of OPEC rich a 'benefit'. Putting higher grade fuel than needed just wastes money.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
72302 said:
So the consensus is that if it aint pinging, no point for higher octane. No other benefits?
There is a small benefit if you use a major brand like mobil. They have a better detergent in the higher octane fuels. You really wouldn't need it more than a couple tanks a year though. It's easy to just get a can of carb cleaner and dump it in the tank 2 times a year.

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
ken75ranger said:
There is a small benefit if you use a major brand like mobil. They have a better detergent in the higher octane fuels. You really wouldn't need it more than a couple tanks a year though. It's easy to just get a can of carb cleaner and dump it in the tank 2 times a year.

Thats why I run 91. Burns cleaner etc.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't believe people are still falling for the myths of "cleaner" high octane fuel. This ain't the 60's anymore.

As for running too much octane, yes it can be a problem. In extreme cases (you will never encounter) high octane burns so slow that it is still burning as the exhaust valve opens. Cooks that poor little valve. This is what happened when nascar truck series first started out with the 9:1 roller cam motors.

For the street, lower octane burns faster, giving higher peak cylinder pressure sooner. Providing it isn't too soon or too high (that would cause ping, knock, detonation, aka bad stuff) then you are actually making more power on lower octane then with high octane fuel.

Race gas is a different breed. It is both high octane and fast burning. But incostent between batches and expensive.

So run the lowest octane the engine will live on. get it from reputable stations so that it is clean. Never fill up when the tanker is dumping a load into the stations tanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Broncobowsher said:
For the street, lower octane burns faster, giving higher peak cylinder pressure sooner. Providing it isn't too soon or too high (that would cause ping, knock, detonation, aka bad stuff) then you are actually making more power on lower octane then with high octane fuel.
In addition to the "faster burning" thing, the lower octane fuel actually has a higher BTU content. This also means more power on lower octane.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Broncobowsher said:
I don't believe people are still falling for the myths of "cleaner" high octane fuel. This ain't the 60's anymore.
Actually the only difference between brands of the same octane is the addivtive package such as detergents.
From the LA gov't.
From Refinery to Consumer
After crude oil is refined into gasoline and other petroleum products, the products must be distributed to consumers. The majority of gasoline is shipped first by pipeline to storage terminals near consuming areas, and then loaded into trucks for delivery to individual gas stations. Gasoline and other products are sent through shared pipelines in “batches”. Since these batches are not physically separated in the pipeline, some mixing or “commingling” of products occurs. This is why the quality of the gasoline and other products must be tested as they enter and leave the pipeline to make sure they meet appropriate specifications. Whenever the product fails to meet local, state, or federal product specifications, it must be removed and trucked back to a refinery for further processing.

After shipment through the pipeline, gasoline is typically held in bulk storage terminals that often service many companies. At these terminals the gasoline is loaded into tanker trucks destined for various retail gas stations. The tanks in these trucks , which can typically hold up to 10,000 gallons, usually have several compartments, enabling them to transport different grades of gasoline or petroleum products. The truck tank is where the special additive packages of gasoline retailers get blended into the gasoline to differentiate one brand from another. In some areas, ethanol may be “splash blended” in the tanker to meet environmental requirements. When the tanker truck reaches a gas station, the truck operator unloads each grade of gasoline into the appropriate underground tanks at the station.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
%) %) %) If you run a 9 to1 or less you only need 87 gas the higher is a wast of money. But in a few states you got watch they have 85 and it sucks. And a stock efi need's only 87 also on the carb. motors also. I run the green gas in the 289 and it's 5.00 a gal. and it gets about 4 mpg 12:5to1 motor but what a kick have fun. %) %) %) Bill :p :cool: :D

ginwisconson

72302 said:
I have a 302 and since buying my EB about 6 months ago, I have always put the best octane in my beast assuming that, even if negligable, I get some benefits of engine life, etc? Am I way off and I should just throw the regular unleaded in there? Would it make a difference that my truck is used to the good treatment if I went back to the lower octane? Thanks guys

Mark

If it don't ping, run the cheapest.