• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

high pitch pinging/vibrating sound

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
Well my Bronco decided today would be a good day to develop a new noise. I trailered it to the meet & greet in Baton Rouge and then back home. I stopped at my in-laws to drop off the trailer. My wife drove the Tahoe home and I drove the Bronco. When I got on the road 1st gear was fine. 2nd is pretty much normal too. When I hit 3rd gear the noise started. I let off of the accelerator and the noise stops. Push accelerator again and noise continues. The only thing I did that I have not done in a while is put it in 4wd to load it on the trailer. When I unloaded it, I unlocked the hubs and put the transfer case in 2wd. I thought maybe the front driveshaft was turning but when I got home, my wife watched the shaft while I moved the Bronco and it was not moving. It got dark outside before I could continue to investigate. Any ideas?

fordtrucksrule

well your problem sounds like the rear driveshaft. much easier than mine i just broke 2 u joints on my d-44 and blew up my warn perm hublocks bummer

OP
OP
bgs26

bgs26

Loc.
Eunice, LA
it doesn't sound like a driveshaft. I have heard what a u-joint fixin' to break sounds like and it is nothing like that. Plus they are almost brand new shafts and u-joints. I will check it tomorrow. Any other ideas?