• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High steer and Ackermann geometry

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
This thread started off beyond the basic concepts, so what you're really saying is that you don't want to admit you were wrong, so you're going to try to make it about me SOMEHOW. If anyone's not communicating effectively, it's you.

suckerpunched

I am going with the generic straight hole through the knuckle and heims. The same length tie rod will bolt on top or bottom. The height change is what will make a difference.

assuming the hole in the steering arm is vertical, it probably is pretty close. Then you should get a slight improvement by mounting it on top of the arm. Not sure it would be noticeable but if there are no other clearance issues, I think higher is better for other reasons. I am running heim steering above the arms but used the tapered stud in the arm from BC. I was worried about the straight bolt hole through the arm getting "wallered out" over time. thats a technical term.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I'm pretty sure that there will be no measurable difference in steering angles in that set-up between the tie-rod being on top vs. on the bottom of the steering arm.

And, since we're not road racing I'm not sure that its worth chasing.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I see Ackermann more useful in low speed tight turns than I do in high speed sweeping turns. Look at a forklift if you want to see an extreme case for Ackermann. Low speed, super tight turns.

I will admit a lot of it will go out the window when locked into 4WD. The driveline bind and forced tire slip will be way more than any little change to Ackermann. But still some of us think about this stuff. And just driving around town it does matter, and with as tight of a turning radius as a Bronco has, it can be helpful.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I predict that the only noticeable difference will be how much throttle is needed to turn particularly tight 2WD turns. The turn radius won't increase or decrease, just the amount of throttle needed to make it happen.

suckerpunched

I predict that the only noticeable difference will be how much throttle is needed to turn particularly tight 2WD turns. The turn radius won't increase or decrease, just the amount of throttle needed to make it happen.

I agree, or maybe now that I think about it. depending on your setup it might make the turning radius slightly bigger. My tires hit the radius rods now in a tight turn. The inside wheel is not turning any sharper so if the ackermann was right it would mean the outside wheel would turn less sharp.

OP
OP
Broncobowsher

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That might be a case where you would go for less. Never thought about it that way before. Also matters how angled out the U-joint at the wheel is at as well.

I really liked my Kubota tractor. 4WD with no U-joints. That thing could hook a tight turn and was really good about not scrubbing the tires (good Ackermann).

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That might be a case where you would go for less. Never thought about it that way before. Also matters how angled out the U-joint at the wheel is at as well.

I really liked my Kubota tractor. 4WD with no U-joints. That thing could hook a tight turn and was really good about not scrubbing the tires (good Ackermann).

Kubota's got some engineering for sure..