• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High Steer Arms off King Pin D60

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I'm thinking of adding some high steer arms to the top of my king pins.
Looks easy enough to do myself with 1" thick steel. Anyone else done this?
Since I don't have the axle under the Bronco yet I wonder what the drag link will look like. Probably near level with a stock flat pitman arm. Do you think the uptravel on the pass side will cause a bind at the pitman arm/draglink?
I've seen some mount on top of the pitman arm instead of below in these situations. I can see another bind problem with that when the pass tire drops and the drag link is at full drop.

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I like these... You can get them with the twist to make up for the slope on the king pin. $300 a set...:eek:

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Mine are home made, and I wish I had the skill to make some with tilt for the tie rod.

I am full hydro and my steering mounts on the underside of the high steer arm. I have about 3.5-4 inches of lift and a stock (height) frame mounted trac bar bracket and I can hit it with the tie rod

When I had a drag link and a 5.5 -6 inch lift, the drag link was flat and I had bump steer because in order to get my trac bar just right, the brackets sat very close to the steering/frame.
You can get around it, I just went full hydro because the steering box I had kind of sucked.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
I am thinking of running these on mine.

heavydoublearm.jpg

Yellow76

I am using H1 wheels on a Dana 60 and I had the WFO set-up. They had the 10 degree angle already on the and they fit the stock backspacing of the wheels I have. I have a 76 Bronco and the upper trac bar mount was in the way for the tie rod over set up. Trevor is the owner of WFO and a great guy. He let me borrow them to see if they would work or not on the H1 wheels....and they fit nicely. Great guy, give them a call I am sure they can help you. I will get some in the future when I have time to work out the trac bar issue.

Shawn

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Tgure said:
I am thinking of running these on mine.

heavydoublearm.jpg

Do you plan on putting the drag link behind the axle? Thats a great idea when pushing the front axle forwards without moving the steering box. The problem I see there is it might hit the shock but thats a minimal problem. Also they eliminate the spring in the king pin and use shims but they need to be replaced all the time due to wear. Its a nice option if you run over 38's. Anyone use them? I heard 38"+ tires cause deflection in the king pin spring and these eliminate it.
I assume I could get them but without the rear arm extention?

Last edited:
OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
welndmn said:
Mine are home made, and I wish I had the skill to make some with tilt for the tie rod.

Why not grind a taper into your home made arms top and bottom? The taper doesn't have to be perfect just gets the bind problem fixed. Although now that you are full hydro it might not matter. Can you send photos of where you mounted your ram with the arms up that high? I'm thinking I'll need to make a tall bracket off the axle to reach the height or come off the diff cover after its beefed up.

Last edited:

welndmn

Bronco Guru
The hole in my arm is already drilled stright.
Funny is after I put them on I thought I should of tapered them, but then I would of had to make another set so I said screw it.

Tgure

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix
68 Broncoholic said:
Do you plan on putting the drag link behind the axle? Thats a great idea when pushing the front axle forwards without moving the steering box. The problem I see there is it might hit the shock but thats a minimal problem. Also they eliminate the spring in the king pin and use shims but they need to be replaced all the time due to wear. Its a nice option if you run over 38's. Anyone use them? I heard 38"+ tires cause deflection in the king pin spring and these eliminate it.
I assume I could get them but without the rear arm extention?

Yes that is the plan I will be running 39.5's so wanted to eliminate the spring issues.

bent70

Loc.
san francisco
Welndmn- could you post up or email me some pics of your hydro ram mount. I may be going to the underside of my high steer arms or back to the stock location. I could use a couple ideas.

Yellow76

The WFO arms shown only come with the double end on one and a single on the other. I asked Trevor if they had any other ones with the double end for the H1 wheels and he said no. There was not enough demand for them...yet. He told me to mark it and just cut whatever I didn't want on there off. So I will be looking at this in the future.

Shawn

OP
OP
68 Broncoholic

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
From my searching around on this I found the Ford king pin knuckle is very weak on the top when mounting high steer arms to them. Thats of course why they came out with the beefy $450 replacement knuckle. Or you can have spares if you want to connect a ram to the high steer arms. The top of the knuckle is thin and was never designed to take a load up there.
What I'm gunna do is run one high steer arm (pass side) for the drag link only. This will fix the nasty axgle/bind problem I have with a 5.5" lift when flexing.
Then do a TRO on the stock knuckle location and mount the ram off the axle tube. This way the ram pressure is off the upper king pin mount.