• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

High volume oil pump adv/disadv

Coasty

Loc.
sandwich
Since i'm already tearing apart the lower part of my engine I thought I might as well do things like timing chain, oil pump etc... and I was thinking of going with a high volume oil pump, I can only see advantages to doing this, anyone think of a reason not to? BTW i have a '69 302 2bbl. One thing I can think of is the highvolume might make the leaks more pronounced, but hopefully i'll be taking care of all of those this weekend with the new rear main/front main, oil pan, valve cover...

74bronc

Bronco Guru
The small block ford engine has a superior oil system which means a HV is unneccessary unless you are turning some serious RPM's (racing). Any professional building that is well versed in SBF will tell you a standard oil pump is all that is needed. As for the leaks, you can't develop more leaks with a high volume pump since most of the engine isn't under oil pressure (at least at the points where leaks are prone.) just throw a standard pump in there are you are good to go.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto that HV pumps are not nessary on a small block ford one disadvantage is that with the stock drain backs the HV pump may fill up the top end faster than it can drain back one cause of valve cover leaks also may cause oil to be sucked through the valves.
On the other hand I've run HV pumps for close to 200,000 miles on my 302 with no problems at 100,000 a HV was put in along with new rod and main bearings when rebuilt at 180,000 the crank was still like new just polished it and put in new stock size bearings but that doesnt really mean that the HV pump prevented wear more likely due to frequent oil changes if you go with a HV pump also get a good hardened shaft ARP makes a good one HV pumps are more likely to break a stock type shaft even though they give you a new stock shaft with the pump

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
HV's aren't really necessary if you run a stock oiling system. BUt if plan on running a remote oil filter, an Accusump and an oil cooler, I would run an HV. I run one and I love it but my Bronco has a 9 qt capacity for oil. Good luck

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
A HV also takes more HP to turn, and is harder on the dist since that is what is running it.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Everything I've been told is the 289/302 can use a HV pump as there is plenty oil for the bearings and a bit short for the cam/lifters. One reason why one of the first things to wear out in a SB is the rear lifters. I wouldn't be concerned about it if you aren't doing higher RPMs. Also, would do this with a full rebuild, not on an old engine.

While you are changing the chain, go to any parts house and get a stock, say 1987, Mustang 5.0 chain and for $25 you will get a nice Cloyes dual roller. It will fit the older engines just fine.

Good luck!
Mikey

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
I have run HV pumps and they make a difference for your valve train oiling. A stock oil pump will make your SB oil really well on the right side and just sort of dribble on the left side. A HV (but not High Pressure) oil pump will cure this. If the motor is fairly stock HV is not needed but if you plan to turn High RPMs, The HV lubes the valvetrain better. It will put slightly more stress on the dist gear. The HV pumps usually include the hardened drive stick.

Perfect Circle/Dana makes both kinds that are high quality and reasonably priced.
~BH

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A high pressure pump is standard volume with the bypass set extra high. Not needed unless you plann on turning 9000+ RPM.

High volume pumps take more HP to run. They are harder on oil pump driveshafts and distributor gears. The High volume pumps will keep oil pressure up on loose engines. Often ups oil pressure at idle speeds. Builds oil pressure slightly faster (probably insignifiently faster). A good idea if you are running some accessory that is lubed by engine oil that was not originally there (turbochargers and some superchargers).

For a good tight stock engine, normal pump is fine. For freshening up a used engine go HV.