• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

high volume oil pump

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
Noticed my oil presure has been falling as of late, no leaks and no smoke but a bit of lifter noise. i went to the local parts store and the only oil pump in stock was a high volume pump. It is 1/4" talled than the stock one. Will it clear my oil pan?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Usually.
Just postponing the inevetable that the bottom end bearings are wore out and maybe the cam bearings as well.
When you drop the pan take a few minutes and pop off a bearing cap on a rod and a main. You might get a little more life by rolling in a fresh set of bearings that would do more good then going to a high volume pump.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
If your motor is as tired as it sounds...the bearings are most likely gone....but so are the rings.a high volume pump is meant to help a newer engine....

OP
OP
Hubba

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
Thanks for the reply Broncobowsher Just changed out a very loose timing chain today and the cam bearings seem to be fine.
Pulled 2 main bearing caps and they both were fine. The oil pump screan was very dirty and I have now cleaned it well. Just thought it would be a good time to swap out the pump. because of my headers removing the pan was dif. and reinstalling it will be harder
so I was just wondering if the pump would clear before I bust my knuckles for nothing.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D It should clear just get one for a van as they use machine screws rather than bolts. Good luck and have fun.;D;D;D Bill :cool::D:p

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Was talking to my friend who builds and races 351W engines and he advises against high volume pumps... The put an abnormal strain on the cam gear and will wear the gear on the cam that drives the dist and oil pump.
(besides, it sounds like your engine is just worn out and this would just be a stopgap measure....):cool:

OP
OP
Hubba

Hubba

Loc.
Montesano WA
Just put an OEM pump in it and it now run and sounds like a champ. Not sure if the pump was just getting week or the pickup screen was just plugged. What ever it was it is great now. Thanks for everyones input.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I've also always heard that high volume pumps were not recommended for SBF engines (at least of the EB vintage) and that a standard pump is actually the best one for most all applications.

Casey835

Ive also heard that Broncitis, and you need bigger oil pan for more oil capacity as well so the high volume pump doesnt starve for oil. Just what ive heard and been told so take for what its worth.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
High volume pump is not the answer for worn main and rod bearings. To eke out a little more time you can use a heavier weight oil for a while or install new main and rod bearings. However, if the bearings are worn the rings and other parts are worn as well. Probably time for a new long block.