• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hmm, Full width Track bar or not?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
OK, so I'm getting ready to cut and thread the new track bar for my FW front axle, and I've been doing a little measuring.... And of course that means that I've found that things aren't as I thought they would be.

Using the stock trackbar mount on the frame and the '79 BB axle with stock steering components and my 4x4x2 box with EB pitman arm, My trackbar angle will be exactly the same as the drag link or maybe a little steeper. (If I remember that steering geometry diagram right, this is what I want). If I go with a FW trackbar which was my plan, The trackbar angle will be a little more horizontal than the drag link.

Since I'm fabbing my own trackbar, I'll be using Heims at both ends (easiest way to do things I found) and a straight link with no bend to clear the pumpkin. Using the stock mounts, it looks as if I'll have about 2.5" clearance (conservative estimate) between the pumpkin and trackbar at ride height. I'd have a bit more if I went with the FW bar, so if 2.5" isn't enough clearance then I may have to go with the FW bar....

Sooo, show of hands (or threads). Do you guys think I should even mess with the FW trackbar?

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
BTW, Using the stock mounting locations on the frame and '79 axle, the Track bar would be 34.5" long. I'm not sure, but I think that's about the same length as it would be if it was an EB axle and I ran the mount outside the spring (a-la lars)

I dunno if you can get "too long" but the more I look at it the more I think I would be making a mistake if I were to go for a Full width track bar setup.

getfuzzy

I'm watching this one with you Hal9000 ,I'm working on my FW also and am using the 79 BB 44

Bronco73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cape Coral, FL
I hope to install my narrowed HP D44 soon. I will follow this thread to see what others have done or are doing. I plan on the 4x4x2 box swap with the 79 steering components cut down to fit the EB.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
Hal, Are you going tie rod over?

This is the big question as from my initial review of my situation, drop bracket, drop pitman, full width, (I have both EB and FSB track bar) and 1 ton TRO setup there is not much room to keep the factory track bar axle mount in the same place.

I was thinking of reversing the bolt and putting the nut on the back side but I will be watching this also to see if there are any suggestions.
Dennis

getfuzzy

Just looking at West Coast Broncos site, take a look at Mark McCarthy's '70 Bronco, It looks like the stock axle and frame mounts? Dusty any insight on the setup you guys used.BTW very nice work!!

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I'm not doing the TRO setup (not right now at least). Basically everything I'm using is stock components (off one vehicle or another), except the track bar. I went ahead and skipped the Full length track bar for now. I've got more than enough tubing to make a longer one if I need it, and I've already made the outer mount if I ever decide to go full length.

As it is, using the stock frame mount, stock axle mount, 4x4x2 box mounted low on the frame with a stock eb pitman arm, and a straightened F350 adjustable tie rod (or drag link? Aw hell, I always get those two mixed up! The one that goes to the pitman arm...) the Track bar and tie rod angles are pretty good. If I went full length, I'd have to do the TRO mod or add a drop pitman arm to keep the geometry correct.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Just looking at West Coast Broncos site, take a look at Mark McCarthy's '70 Bronco, It looks like the stock axle and frame mounts? Dusty any insight on the setup you guys used.BTW very nice work!!

How can you tell, there's no photo that shows the track bar from end to end.

I gotta say though, I wish my fab work looked as good as WCBs, I forgot about their project page, but the write up on Mark's bronco was my original motivation for going the route that I did. Aside from also stretching my wheelbase a little, and dealing with a much lower budget, I'm going down almost the same path.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When you say you've got 2.5" of clearance between the pumpkin and the trackbar, do you mean the bar is "in front of" the diff? Or the bar has clearance "above" the pumpkin?
I'm thinking you mean above, so that 2.5 inches doesn't sound like much to me. Seems to me you could use that up pretty quickly on a good bump.

Regarding clearance for the lower mount, one other suggestion put out there (by Anthony at StoneCrusher if I remember) was to cut the bolt shorter and use a low-profile nut instead of the big castelated nut. You re-drill for a cotter-pin, but much lower down the bolt shank.
This works for an EB mount. Not sure about the full-size lower mount, since it's just a bit different than an EB, but it might still give you the extra clearance you need, IF you decide you need to go TRO with your setup after all.

Paul

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks Paul, I don't have clearance problems with the lower nut, but i did reverse the bolt and installed it with the castle nut facing rearward and not forward for good measure.

The clearance I was talking about was above the point that it looked like it would touch the front diff cover. After I installed everything, I can say that I misjudged and do have substantially more clearance than I thought. I haven't measured, but it looks more like 4" or so of clearance. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that I have enough room to avoid hitting the diff cover at this point.

Last edited: