• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Sniper EFI Issues

fluffybunny

Contributor
When it started billowing smoke, that was a sign that I toasted my O2 sensor. Did you replace it? Your AFR should be around 13. If it shot up to 34-35, it's dead now. You can order the Bosch sensor off of Amazon for less than what Summit or Holley sells them for.

OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

No I didn't know I had to replace. I'll order it now , I have to check what afr is? So far it sticks at initiating. Iac is at 61.

Wild horse 75

Loc.
BC
If it won’t start with starting fluid you should go back to basics. Pretend it’s just a carb now. Check for spark. Make sure you have compression.

rexorcist

yep sounds familiar..my sniper fouled 02 sensor, burned out tps, and had powder coating clog internal pressure regulator..after having all of that taken care of ran well for a few weeks and then started having more frequent “episodes” of high afrs with smelly shuttering loss of power and then dying..was able to get it to the shop..out to Holley for their inspection..my tech convinced that their components/sensors are garbage to meet the price point of fitech..getting close to cutting losses and going to carb..fuuu

OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

yep sounds familiar..my sniper fouled 02 sensor, burned out tps, and had powder coating clog internal pressure regulator..after having all of that taken care of ran well for a few weeks and then started having more frequent “episodes” of high afrs with smelly shuttering loss of power and then dying..was able to get it to the shop..out to Holley for their inspection..my tech convinced that their components/sensors are garbage to meet the price point of fitech..getting close to cutting losses and going to carb..fuuu
im in the same boat - probably going back to carb - really nervous since my bronco sits sometimes for a week or 2 - its going to suck starting it up -

fluffybunny

Contributor
I fought mine after install, blew through 3 O2 sensors in short order. It boils down to once you get it running, you must data log and clean up the tune with a laptop. I found a guy who laptop tuned mine and I haven't had a single issue since that was done.

OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

I fought mine after install, blew through 3 O2 sensors in short order. It boils down to once you get it running, you must data log and clean up the tune with a laptop. I found a guy who laptop tuned mine and I haven't had a single issue since that was done.
was yours running terrible and then everything improved after tuning? what is your holley running now?

fluffybunny

Contributor
i think the issue is its dumping fuel and will a tune fix that?
Mine would run like a top and then the AFR would spike to 35, black smoke would pour out of the exhaust, telling me that the O2 went bad. I would replace the sensor, go through the wizard again, and it would run normal for 25 miles or so and eat another sensor. My brother in law was having the same issue with his until he found a mechanic that knew how to laptop tune so we both had ours tuned by him. We've been rocking along trouble free since then. I had my tune saved to a SD card too in case I ever need to upload it again.

Joe Simpson on Youtube has some good videos that cover the Sniper and he offers a video series for purchase if you're computer savvy enough to do it yourself, but I'm not that guy. If you are going to get yours tuned by someone, MAKE SURE that it's someone that knows how to laptop tune. My brother in law had 2 shops that told him that could tune his but they simply used the wizard which is not tuning it.

walls

im in quogue - do you have a good mechanic out here that can assist and knows the holley product that can repair and dial it in
I apologize for posting I may be able to help you out, work got super busy right after posting and haven't even had time to work on my own stuff. Hope you get It figured out. If i had to guess i would think it is one of the sensors, bad tps sensor stopped me dead in my tracks and truck would crank with no signs of life whatsoever. All the sensors are finicky and will ruin your day. I have just about every sensor new at home and if we go on a long trip or a event in a different state bring them with me.

OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

Let me know if you have a good mechanic or someone that really knows how to dial in the sniper. I have a mechanic who wants me to go back to a carb.i really am hoping I can make the efi work.

walls

Let me know if you have a good mechanic or someone that really knows how to dial in the sniper. I have a mechanic who wants me to go back to a carb.i really am hoping I can make the efi work.
I installed and dialed it in myself. Been running it for 3 years now and it works flawlessly except for the few issues with random sensors going bad. Some were my own fault power washing the ass out of it after mud bogging for 2 days at lake okeechobee by you. The mud didnt bother it but after power washing I guess the sensors dont like that much water. If its installed correctly it gets itself real close and just needs some hand fine tuning and shouldn't give you any issues. Was it ever the way you wanted it or you never got it to work correctly from the get go?

OP
OP
Vshofel

Vshofel

Always running really rich. Really smell the gas. Also I know the mechanic didn't dial it in on a computer. My biggest concern is that a mechanic doesn't know the sniper product and won't be able to work on it. Versus a car any mechanic can touch it

73azbronco

Bronco Guru
Any mechanic worth his salt should be able to tune a sniper, the question is do you want to pay for the time.

rexorcist

Likely a defective unit..seems that they source sensors from 3d world to keep sub 2k price and many of them fail, including ecu..just got mine back from Holley and got me home from my tech (10 min drive)..tbc🙏👍