• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

holley

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
I have a 670 on my 302. I bought it before the 470 was available. The previous carb was a 600 cfm holley. I have not had any isssues with the 670 TA, my 302 is not stock though. I have a bigger cam, and aftermarket heads.

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
My 302 had headers, performer intake, stock heads and pistons. I ran both the 470 T/A and a plain Jane Holley 600 and the 600 was the performance winner. It ran ran well with the 470, I just prefered the additional power from the 600. I guess maybe be a little more specific as to what you have in your 302.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 470 TA is probably the best choice.

For reference I ran a 600 CFM list 1850 Holley on an otherwise bone stock engine and it was fine. May not have the best off-road but on the street it never had any issues that were not caused by me (fuel line shaving stuck in the needle and seat).

I have a friend who is running a 650 double pumper on a 302. That took a bit of tuning to clean up and make run right, but it could be done. That would not be recomended.

Little trivia, carbs are rated at there CFM at a given vacuum. A 4 barrel carb fully open with 1.5" of vacuum and a 2 barrel at 3" of vacuum. That change in ratings actually makes 2 barrel and 5 barrel comparisons irrelevent. A 390 CFM 4 barrel wil flow more then a 500 CFM 2 barrel, at the same pressure drop. If you vary the pressure drop then you can vary the CFM as well. It's fun when they vary the standards...

Flintknapper

Loc.
Deep East Texas
My brother had a Holley 4010 600cfm on top of a performer manifold on his 71 with 302.

It had a mild Comp Cams 260 cam, headers, but stock heads, pistons etc...
it ran really well.

He went to a 5.0 motor about a year later (always looking for more HP) and gave me the manifold and carb. I never used them but have them bagged up. Real clean...if anyone is interested.

Carb is manual choke, has the dual lines, 600cfm, square bore. Ran great when removed. Just sitting in my garage.

I can't tell the difference in performance between his old motor and his roller5.0, but thats what everyone was doing at the time.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
A 470 is peferable if you can afford one but a standard 600 cfm is about 1/2 the price new a dirt cheap for a used one and will work fine and you can use my tech article to modify similar to a TA. I'm going to try out a barry grant 525 CFM road demon jr carb that I have soon to see if it makes any differance on my engine I'm sure it will seem like a improvement as I'm also swapping to a better manifold at the same time I'm running a single plane now that is not really suited to a 4x4 but it does run very good but I think the dual plane will run a lot better.
The smaller the CFM rating on the carb you use the better low end driveability and responsiveness will be.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Im old school bigger is better to a point I would suggest 600 CFM should work very good for you good luck.:cool: :cool: :cool: Bill ;D :cool: :D

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I would not run anything over 600 cfm on a 302. Especially if it is near stock. Someone mentioned the 390 cfm Holley. My friend runs a race tuned #80507 on his '67 Mustang 289. It is very responsive and has a great fuel curve. Very impressive for a carb with butterflies the size of quarters.

Lime73sport

Loc.
Starke, Florida
I run a basic 600 like mentioned before and have only had a few problems such as stalling when i hit a big bump at low speeds 5 and under and soime sputtering but a stiffer secondary spring will fix that but it only happens sometimes, but it has great response and will get up and run with just about anything have a lil trouble against a 5.4 F150 the other day through the gears he got me but i flew by him in the top end thats with a Rebuilt 302 4 barrel intake and a minor cam

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I run a basic 600 like mentioned before and have only had a few problems such as stalling when i hit a big bump at low speeds 5 and under and soime sputtering but a stiffer secondary spring will fix that but it only happens sometimes, but it has great response and will get up and run with just about anything have a lil trouble against a 5.4 F150 the other day through the gears he got me but i flew by him in the top end thats with a Rebuilt 302 4 barrel intake and a minor cam

That sounds like how my last 600 ran. Hiccupped on bumps (was not a truck model, just the economy priced 4 barrel). The one I had before on another truck didn't have the hiccup problem, but I didn't run over ledges at low speeds like I did with the latest one. Got EFI and took care of that.