• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holy SHIPPING!!!

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
No vendor names shared b/c it’s the same across all of them…. But DANG!!! I just spent almost $400 shipping a lift kit and other long (but light weight) parts to NC.

It hurts knowing 25% of my cc swipe was a shipping charge!

Sorry - just venting here. Vendor not at fault and no I’ll feelings that way. I was excited they had what I wanted; dreaded that shipping estimate.

There’s just no way to move things around reasonably any more.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Vendors are making money on shipping. Shipping isn't that much more then prior.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'll preface with I'm not arguing or slandering, just healthy discussion, so no one take offense to what I may say, again healthy discussion. I know that Duffymahoney and several others here are self-employed and may have different views, but we can have those and still get along :)
I work for a multi $B company, shipping costs are up a lot from where they were in 2019. last I checked close to 30%. Even dedicated hot shot service is up. So are the carriers' expenses, fuel, ever escalating equipment costs, insurance, taxes, even repair costs are up. trucks are still not as dependable or as inexpensive to repair as they were pre 2007 and the repairs they need are costly. We are also a very large fleet owner; we are up to well over $2.50 per mile to run our trucks.

If our vendors are not making money on shipping shame on them, it is a proper business model. Any function or service that requires the use of resources needs to be profitable. How much profitable is up to you but it needs to not cost you revenue. Freight is a huge outlay of resources, service and revenue, a modest profit margin is more than acceptable. they made money on it before; it is a bigger number now. I'm not saying their margin is up, it is a bigger number to start with so with margin being margin it is a bigger number as well.

most of us are just getting old, gas isnt' 75 cents and a new fully loaded 4x4 pick up truck is not $16,000 anymore. so we feel abused LOL

Last edited:

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I ship/ freight things daily for work, it's usually not a terrible expensive.

We never make money on shipping, I just include it in the cost of doing business. That said, I try not to lose money on shipping:)

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bullshit. Or incredibly lucky you. Our shipping costs have gone up dramatically in the last couple years. We ship both Us and International and both have skyrocketed since COVID first hit.

What REALLY hurt us was the shipping costs to deliver $300K control systems, under contract before COVID, to the shipyard customers, after COVID. The shipping costs were "baked in the cake", contractually, so we had to eat the huge increases once we finally delivered.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Bullshit. Or incredibly lucky you. Our shipping costs have gone up dramatically in the last couple years. We ship both Us and International and both have skyrocketed since COVID first hit.

What REALLY hurt us was the shipping costs to deliver $300K control systems, under contract before COVID, to the shipyard customers, after COVID. The shipping costs were "baked in the cake", contractually, so we had to eat the huge increases once we finally delivered.
Tell me about it… we had 500 containers on the water and the price quadrupled from the time they left port till the time they arrived😳

Tricky Dick

Sponsor/Vendor
Shipping is a huge factor in what I choose to carry and it varies drastically by region, which can make or break profitability since I ship for free. It costs me $25 to ship a compressor to UT, or $40 to FL. That's a big bite of a $125 total sale. I discontinued my tractions boards because the oversized packaging made me lose money on most sales but the market wouldn't support higher prices.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
having the mod bug for our other cars (german) and buying large parts from those online vendors, i will say that our bronco vendors don't get very good rates on shipping. Many of the euro online vendors offer free shipping... that includes wheel/tire sets, BBKs, clutches, etc.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
having the mod bug for our other cars (german) and buying large parts from those online vendors, i will say that our bronco vendors don't get very good rates on shipping. Many of the euro online vendors offer free shipping... that includes wheel/tire sets, BBKs, clutches, etc.
Nothing is "free". If they offer "free" shipping, the real cost goes on their overhead and right back on top of the cost of whatever it is they are selling.

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Nothing is "free". If they offer "free" shipping, the real cost goes on their overhead and right back on top of the cost of whatever it is they are selling.

the pricing is very competitive... so they must eat it i suppose.

Minderbinder3

Contributor
No vendor names shared b/c it’s the same across all of them…. But DANG!!! I just spent almost $400 shipping a lift kit and other long (but light weight) parts to NC.

It hurts knowing 25% of my cc swipe was a shipping charge!

Sorry - just venting here. Vendor not at fault and no I’ll feelings that way. I was excited they had what I wanted; dreaded that shipping estimate.

There’s just no way to move things around reasonably any more.
Tell me about it. Just received 2 rear leaf springs, 4 shocks, and some small stuff and it was $200+ in shipping. I shopped around and the vendors I checked were about the same. Shocked me because I order parts for my Jeep Wrangler all the time and shipping is usually included in the price for similar items.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Shipping rates on the systems at work, both freight and package (UPS/USPS/FedEx) have definitely increased over the last few years.

I try to consolidate Bronco parts orders as much as possible. And if practical - time orders of large/heavy items to take advantage of the free delivery our vendors offer to SuperCel and other events. Of course, as soon as an order is placed, another part is sure to be needed🙄

Just had a call with our UPS rep, who looked at restructuring our account to find some savings. Sounded promising, and certainly doesn’t hurt to ask them to re-evaluate your usage. Sometimes you won’t get if you don’t ask.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Yeah, also depends where. Some shippers ship a lot to some locations or need to be shipping there and know they'll have room so they charge less.

Or could me a lot one way and less the way back--like I've always shipped my club to HI, which isn't the cheapest but nice and easy to have them waiting for me, and then shipping back is dirt cheap.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
Shipping costs have significantly risen (25-30%) in the last 12-18 months. Prices fell during the COVID years because fuel was cheaper and volume was abundant. The exorbitant cost stem from dimensional weight and size, along with multiple other contributing factors. But when you ship a pallet of goods that weighs 200lbs, you would roughly pay the same should the same dims be 450lbs. Small package shipping, .25-50lbs is not as shocking in costs as is heavier and larger footprint items. For me, even my FedEx employee discounted rate is high in my opinion. However, there is staring to be a slow resurgence of shippers (not highly profitable) that contract out the work across multiple ground network carriers. This will decrease freight charges but increase the transit times should they be able to survive/break even. Most have become spoiled with 1-3 day shipping, I know I am included, but increasing transit times and less handling brings the cost back down. The freight industry is all over the map currently. Look at the thread about Yellow, things are progressively changing, companies are going out, smaller companies are being forced go under, and overhead costs are high. The areas that get hit the hardest are your less populous and lower industry cities. It is more expensive to ship parts to Tulsa, OK than it is to Dallas, TX. I could go on for days about freight, that is my profession, but no matter how or where to look, freight charges and costs are very expensive.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
One thing I have noticed with any vendor, if you call them and order you might get a better shipping price vs ordering it online. I sell a lot on Etsy, they have it setup that any item listed for $35.00 or more is shipped free. So I just ad $8-$10 bucks to the final price to cover it, I had an order yesterday that was $28.00, buyer pays shipping. The item weighted 8 oz was 12x12x.5 packaged. It cost $8.00 to ship via USPS buying the postage through Etsy, and they get a discount.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Steve's a LOT younger than I am :) because I remember and have pics (on slides) of 22.9/gal for regular so yeah, we're paying more for shipping. My Dad in '73 was earning almost $30K as a teacher, His '69 Bronco from the factory was $3950 incl tax.

Today I just read where a FT UPS delivery drivers salary with bene's just went from $144K/year to $175K/year by the end of this new contract. .. so expect to pay more for shipping soon! lol

Last edited:

BruiserOutdoors

Steve's a LOT younger than I am :) because I remember and have pics (on slides) of 22.9?gal for regular so yeah, we're paying more for shipping. My Dad in '73 was earning almost $30K as a teacher, His '69 Bronco from the factory was $3950 incl tax.

Today I just read where a FT UPS delivery drivers salary with bene's just went from $144K/year to $175K/year. .. so expect to pay more for shipping soon! lol
i'm in the wrong career apparently.