• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hooking up a winch

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
i know the power cable for the winch hooks up to the positive post on the battery. but is it prefered to hook the negative cable from the winch mounting bolt to the negative battery post? or do i hook it from the winch mounting bolt to a good ground on the frame or block? or would either one work fine? thanks for any help.

rob wilson

Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
With the current draw of a winch, you'll be best off keeping the current path as short and with as few connections as possible. I'd recommend going straight to the battery with both. Connecting to the frame would add distance and connections that are not required/desired.

dblue351

If you read the instructions that come with the winch it will state to only hook up to the pos and neg of the battery.

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
broncobilly_69 said:
also if you have side posts, don't use them for your winch. They are only rated for about 300 amps
All depends on the battery's manufacturer. If it is an Optima, you are correct. If it is a Deka product, they will handle what the battery is rated for, same as Hawker Odyessy, and old Delphi as well.