• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn contact plate missing?

Evolkid

Hello everyone.

I'm installing a new to me steering wheel to replace the 1970s superior wheel that came on my 66 bronco.

Looking at the contacts in the column, they don't line up with the OEM wheel that I have.
The outer spring loaded contact doesn't touch anything.

Looking at exploded views from catalogs, it looks like I have everything but it doesn't seem right. I can get a continuity signal when I press the button( on the wheel) and if I jump the contacts, the horn will blow.

Also, the wheel, when tightened, has about a 3/16" gap. Is that correct??

What am I missing here?

48681d1ffd9a5f5b935b57bbb0fc5913.jpg
924e700201477190259db5dabb9d1491.jpg
d6f6aea589245ae8e63ed377e88a4d1b.jpg

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The outer ring is missing. Where did you source the wheel? Was it a re-pop or reconditioned OE wheel? You could likely find the same outer ring on another '60s Ford car or truck wheel. The '66 Galaxies had the same steering wheel. That's where full diameter EB hub caps came from too.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I also noticed that your turn signal cam is broken. You might want to replace that while you're in there.

Todd Z.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Upper contact is missing as well. Replace the whole turn signal switch.

The gap between the steering wheel and column can be adjusted by moving the column. Loosen it under the dash and under the hood and it can be moved slightly.

OP
OP
Evolkid

Evolkid

Thank you for the replies.

Where did you source the wheel? Was it a re-pop or reconditioned OE wheel?

Picked it up on eBay cheap. Included the horn button and looks to be OEM.
Guy said it came off a late 60s Bronco, but not sur of year.

toddz69I also noticed that your turn signal cam is broken. You might want to replace that while you're in there.

I noticed the cam is broken. I plan to fix just the cam or replace the switch.

I saw this thread in a similar subject where two guys had different wheel setups.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224607

Looking at the wheel I have, contacts and wiring I have on the truck. I can't see how this will work. The button will jump the contacts and just ground out the 12v power.
I've looked, in vain, for a wiring schematic that included the horn path, but haven't found anything.

Does anyone know if there was a year or years where the horn was powered, and the switch at the wheel was grounded to complete the circuit? Possibly through a relay? I believe the OEM set up on my bronco is powered from the headlight switch, ran through the wheel and grounded at the horns.

Does anyone have a mid 60s, a later 60s or early 70s wiring schematic that included the horn wiring?

I can prob rerun new wiring to make this work, but would rather keep it close to stock.

Thanks!

45619d1755665255634bbcc02d404a7d.jpg
768e504d9bd56f5f8aaf6c0a2e9431b9.jpg
60ccc0dd0d2f8390028853d1962b4b93.jpg

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I just saw another post where the wheel had no outer ring. The good news is the '74-'77s only had one contact ring and one contact in the turn signal switch. In these later models the contact has 12v and the circuit is closed by ground to the the steering column. This closed circuit activates a horn relay that sends 12v to the horn. It may be easier to wire yours like that. The relay is a stock EB part.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I wasn't suggesting the use of the '74-'77 turn signal switch in the '66-'73 column. The late column uses a 4 way flasher switch that's part of the turn signal switch, where the '66-'73 has the 4 way switch in the dash. I think, wiring only the inside contact that does ride the inside ring,could be wired to activate an OE relay to sound the horn. Replacement wiring harnesses are set up that way. Rewiring the whole horn circuit is more involved than replacing the outer ring in the wheel. The problem is finding one. I did find this;http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1966-6...ash=item3ac900a7ad:g:wcIAAOSwtnpXm4EO&vxp=mtr early Mustang wheel that's cracked and cheap because new re-pops are easy to find, so no one rebuilds them. This one has the outer ring and I bet it's the same as the ring your missing. You could also bring a puller and your wheel to junk yards to find a period Ford with the ring you need.