• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn Wiring Question

srestum

Hey all, I'm trying to troubleshoot why my horn won't work and I just can't figure it out. Here's what I know. The horn works if I jump directly from the horn to the battery and the two points under my horn button both get power. I tried to short out the points under the button as well as connect the points and I get nothing. I've got a 68 so I don't think there is a relay, but how do I get the horn to honk! Please help. Thanks, Scott

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I have the same project going... Here's what I've heard, power comes from a circuit breaker either attached to or near the headlight switch. Runs up the steering column. The horn button completes the circuit and it runs down the column out to the horn....
I don't know why you have power on both sides of the horn button??

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
With mine it was the horn ground. I ran a small jumper from the battery ground to the front support giving it a good ground and the horn worked then.

Hope this helps!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, I didn't think they were both supposed to have power either. You may have a short in one contact or wire.
Can you disconnect the harness/plug at the column and get a reading there? Then do the same "jump" routine at the plug and see if you get a toot that way.
And while you're in there, clean the contact areas as good as you can. They get kind of carboned up over time.
Stupid book. I just looked in my Chilton's ('66 to '77) and they don't even show the horn circuit in the '66 to '72 wiring diagram! Which is strange 'cause in my old Chilton's ('66 to '73) they showed it. You'd think they'd be the same. Too bad someone I let "borrow" the old one decided to steal it instead. Stupid book.
Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
S

srestum

Thanks for all the help. It appears that I've got a wheel for a later year Bronco. If you connect the two pins with wire, the horn works fine. Broncograveyard has two different wheels depending on the year and the diagrams show that the 74 through 77 had a relay when the pre 74 didn't. Something to do with the ground. I'm not great with the electrical apects of Broncos, so I guess I'll search for an early steering wheel and hopefully that should do the trick.