• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Horn wiring with Grant wheel adapter.

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I am in the process of replacing my turn signal switch with an aftermarket switch from Wild Horses. I am also trying to connect the horn using a Grant wheel adapter.

The turn signal switch has a yellow wire providing 12V and a Blue/yellow feed to the horn.

When I put the wheel adapter on it completes the circuit between the yellow and blue/yellow wires.

Wouldn't that constantly supply 12V to the horn?

I am not 100% sure the turn signal is the correct part.
There is no relay for the horn.

Last edited:

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Man Iamway to Fdup...somebodyelseisgonna have tofield thisone

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Man Iamway to Fdup...somebodyelseisgonna have tofield thisone

Allllllll righty then...

The horn contacts on my Bronco, as well as on my older Mustang, are two spring-loaded copper plunger things that push against the steering wheel hub (or adaptor) where there are two circular copper rings that stay in constant contact with the plungers.

You really don't have to hook any wires to the wheel hub itelf. The turn signal assembly is separate from the horn contacts. The only wire you have to hook up is the one that runs from the wheel adaptor to your horn button of choice.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
What if I only have one copper ring?
Both of the spring loaded cotacts ride on the same ring.

Is it the wrong adapter?

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
What if I only have one copper ring?
Both of the spring loaded cotacts ride on the same ring.

Is it the wrong adapter?

Hmmm. I was pretty sure there are two, on mine at least. I know there were two listings for Grant adaptors when I bought mine. The 75.5-77 models use a different one than the earlier Broncos.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Did you get it figured out? If not, shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a doc that might help.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Sorry - my doc doesn't show this specifically. There's only one wire that comes off of the Grant installation kit - its a black wire if I remember correctly. That wire goes to one of the posts on the back of the horn button.

Its pretty easy to set up actually. The Grant adapter grounds to the copper post in the column and then the circuit is completed when you depress the horn button.

You can test this easily by touching the exposed black wire to the center post in the column. Does the horn work when you manually ground it?

If its not working, you might want to check your relay, mine was bad. It was located near the radiator overflow bottle on my 76.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Here's a copy of the instructions just so you have it.

Attachments

• Steering Wheel Installation instructions.pdf
    203.7 KB · Views: 53

is_wiz

Loc.
Leesburg, VA
Sounds to me like you have the wrong adapter. I had a similar problem. I had one spring contact and two copper rings. I bought a new turn signal switch with two contacts and now I'm okay. Also for those that have two copper rings I was concerned they springs might eventually touch. so I found a plastic cup and cut off a slice all the way around about 1/8 of an inch thick. I then crazy glued it between the copper rings. The idea is to keep the springs from ever touching. also, if you have two springs i recommend installing an inline fuse behind the dash, before the steering column, on the horn line. just call me paranoid but I don't want those springs bumping something else in the column after years of use and shorting out.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I called Grant.

I need the other adapter. I am going to check with AutoZone.

Could I disconnect the yellow wire supplying 12 V to the horn and use the wiring from the horn button to the actual horn as the ground wire? Then run 12 directly to the horn?