• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hot Springs on July 4th anyone?

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
There's a group of locals heading to Superlift for July 4th. I'm thinking about trying to go along since I can't make OCBR this year. Anyone else here planning on going then? I'll probably go up on Wednesday and head home Sunday morning.

Sent from my Eye Phone

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Ill be in MS again for first grand baby. Have fun and take lots of pictures

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Will do. It's looking more and more like I'll be there. I'm getting a battery backpack for my gopro so I dont have to worry with the battery dying. I'll get some stills as well. Hoping some other EB brothers can be there so I dont have to pull all these Jeeps myself.:D

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Ok, it's confirmed. Got a yard pass, got my co-pilots yard pass, I'm off work, and my family that's in town will be leaving the same day I plan to. If all goes well and everything is prepped I'm heading out on Wednesday morning sometime. Since this is last minute I have a lot of prep to do. Check the truck over, aquire the proper slip yoke for the driveshaft/14b (to eliminate the conversion joint) from the PO of the axles:cool:, make a trip to the dump to unload the tree from my trailer, the usual packing and prep for camping. Should be an interesting week and a half!

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Add radiator repair to my list of prep.:cry: I found the small coolant leak I had since I got the truck has started spraying the front of the motor. It also explains the chirping belt until warmup. I pulled it yesterday and have it at the local radiator shop today to see what they can do. I also asked them to make any suggestions that would help with low speed cooling.

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Well, I installed a clutched fan and it clears the radiator just fine. Didn't finish mounting radiator yet because I'm making mounting brackets for the pusher. I'm not ready to leave it off until I test the new fan. Even then I'll probably leave it on just in case.

Sent from my Eye Phone

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Good to know. Thanks.

Well, I got the clutch fan mounted, pusher fan mounted and he radiator in.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372475597.485413.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372475617.457876.jpg

Ran it for about 25 min and the temps looked steady. Then it stalled.... F*** me. No ignition.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372475851.680027.jpg
I had I stalled a TFI coil to try for more juice and it looks like it had a meltdown. Put my old coil back in still nothing. Looks like I'm swapping for another duraspark in the morning.

Sent from my Eye Phone

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Ok, so I swapped out my duraspark module for another and swapped the msd coil for a stock tfi (no msd in stock).
Installed the new parts and nothing. I rechecked all of my powers and grounds and all tested ok. The ign source from the switch to the I terminal on the solenoid had some voltage drop so I load tested all circuits with a headlight. Sure enough that one was weak. I bypassed it to test and still no fire.

But it's fixed now. Convinced that I did not have 2 bad coils again, I wired in an HEI module (sue me...) and it fired right up and ran smooth. So I gutted the duraspark housing and mounted the HEI module in there and buttoned it up. It was late so I will try again on the engine temps in the morning.

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Cleaned up this morning and started loading up the trailer. Cranked her up and set the timing. Let it run for a long time and he temp barely crept up. Went on a test drive and it sputtered pitifully. Checked the vacuum advance and advanced the base timing. It seems better now. Probably about 15 deg before tdc right now. Feels like it may need a little more.

After driving I let it idle in gear a while and temps slowly crept to about 210 without the pusher on and it seemed to level off. Not a big improvement if any with the clutch fan, but I'll leave it alone for now and bring the rigid fan to HS with me just in case.

Got the trailer mostly loaded. Not enough time to mount the propane tank and grill so I'm just gonna get a portable unit to take with us.

Sent from my Eye Phone

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Thanks Dave! Sure plan on it. Looks like we're gonna break the mold and hit the harder stuff on Thursday and maybe Friday since rain starts to move into the area the later in the week it gets. We want ot hit the hardest stuff before it gets wet. The forcast now shows only 40% on Saturday so hopefully we'll get by with none. I will likely be the only one in our group there on Wednesday so I'll probably be the co-pilot for a while and let the little rockmiester drive on some easier stuff.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Don't forget Bailie's Boulders, and Um stay away from "Impossible" Trust me ;)

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Sounds like the voice of experience. Lol. I'm sure we'll swing by Bailie's once again.

Ok. Curiosity's got me. What happened to you on Impossible??

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Not me, but the "big" boys had to winch up in a few spots. Its crazee.. :) I'll post a couple pics here in a little bit.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
2nd Pic you can kinda tell how steep it is....

Attachments

• DSC_0438.jpg
    DSC_0438.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_0444.jpg
    DSC_0444.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
Ah yes. I heard about that one at OCBR, but wasn't on that trail at the time. I watched a few videos of it last night. I guess it just depends on the company I keep when riding. You know, peer pressure.....