• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How can I lock my tailgate?

bst4byford

I have a '77 and would like to build some boxes for storage, using the tailgate as the opening. What are some solutions for locking the tailgate?

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Your liftgate has a tab on it that prevents the tailgate from opening without opening the liftgate first. Just lock the liftgate.

T

teknalee

i think he's talking about having the top off so in that case the liftgate isn't there... anyways i can't help you man i haven't looked at it really you'll figure something out ;D

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
You could either go cheap with a hasp and a pad lock or you could get fancy with a cylinder lock from gate to body near tail lights<br>

TexasBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Waterford, MI
Why? just asking, cause if you run topless, or half cab, why would you need to lock it? You could make a retro off of a new explorer or something, but it depends on how much modifaction you want to do.

T

teknalee

he's talking about making a box right at the tailgate.. and the tailgate would be the lid/opening/door for this box.. it's a way to have secure storage.. it hink it's a cool idea.. it's like having a trunk in a car

Newt

Go buy a Trucking magazine. Look at the adds. Remove the stock lock, weld the hole up. Then install the electric door opener w/remote you found in Trucking magazine.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Always back in when you park. Get real close to a wall or a pole, or a tree when you back in. That way no one can get'er open. Just a thought.<br><br>Blue71

G

funny how only about 2-3 people seem to understand the point in him wanting to lock it ::) ;D but yea i agree with the trucking magazing thing

yellow71

Loc.
Western PA
[quote author=teknalee link=board=5;threadid=10623;start=0#77544 date=1035693091]<br>he's talking about making a box right at the tailgate.. and the tailgate would be the lid/opening/door for this box.. it's a way to have secure storage.. it hink it's a cool idea.. it's like having a trunk in a car<br>[/quote]<br><br>Have you checked with Tuffy? I know they make a similar box for Wranglers...maybe they've designed one for us too.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
[quote author=SteveL link=board=5;threadid=10623;start=0#77530 date=1035689272]<br>You could either go cheap with a hasp and a pad lock or you could get fancy with a cylinder lock from gate to body near tail lights<br><br>[/quote]<br>same as Steve ;D

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
put an old fashoned padolock deal on the inner side of the tailgate. cheap I know... but it's cheap! ;D

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
steve mounted a jobox tool box in the rear that fits flush with the tailgate, then mounted a seat to the front of it. The box was $200 wich is cheapter than the little tuffy console.

KST1

I have the same plan. I built a tire carrier, cooler/jerry can rack combo for the back that I can lock up. Can't open the tailgate without opening the rack first. Now I have to design the interior box and that project will be complete.<br><br>-D