• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you attack this rust?....74 Build Start

aaron6920

Loc.
Dorchester, IA
I am wondering how to attack this rust? Is this something that can be wire wheeled? It is mostly surface rust at this point. Those seams appear to be rusting from the inside?

I was just curious how all of you attack this kind of rust and how to remove and replace that seam sealer?

The bronco I bought with the frame done and body has been off previously. I am trying to think of how to fix :)

Attachments

• Bronco 20.jpg
    Bronco 20.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
That's not surface rust. Cleaning it up with a rust converter product will buy you some time but I'm guessing at some point you will have to repair/replace the striker post. If you can get both sides of the seam cleaned up should last a few years until you are ready for a resto.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Only way to get all the seam sealer out is to take the quarter panel off.
Best I can think of without doing that is get a small sandblaster and blast the rust spots and the seam, from BOTH sides, and see where you are at with it. if it is only surface rust then brush on some rust converter, prime and call it good. You may get lucky and it is only the outside of the seam and has not gotten deeper.

OP
OP
aaron6920

aaron6920

Loc.
Dorchester, IA
So a new striker post is in order. Weird the other side is clean as a whistle.

My question is kind of a two part. I have that striker and this on both quarters. Above the tire is very solid on both lower quarters. To fix this would I most likely have to replace both quarters someday?

Attachments

• Bronco 14.jpg
    Bronco 14.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 291

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
That's not surface rust. Cleaning it up with a rust converter product will buy you some time but I'm guessing at some point you will have to repair/replace the striker post. If you can get both sides of the seam cleaned up should last a few years until you are ready for a resto.

X2...................

Use a wire wheel to it or that 3M seaweed looking stuff to clean it up. use a wire brush on the inside access it under the fenderwell.
coat with rust converter to treat and than prime and paint.. For a driver this is the best route. Putting in a new part will not solve rust problems, it will come regardless of what you do or how you prepare the metal.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
So a new striker post is in order. Weird the other side is clean as a whistle.

My question is kind of a two part. I have that striker and this on both quarters. Above the tire is very solid on both lower quarters. To fix this would I most likely have to replace both quarters someday?

That's more like rock chips or poor paint prep. Except for the rust in the rocker seam that can be cleaned up and primed. Surface rust on flat panels can be cleaned up no problem. Rust in seams is a PITA.

OP
OP
aaron6920

aaron6920

Loc.
Dorchester, IA
X2...................

Use a wire wheel to it or that 3M seaweed looking stuff to clean it up. use a wire brush on the inside access it under the fenderwell.
coat with rust converter to treat and than prime and paint.. For a driver this is the best route. Putting in a new part will not solve rust problems, it will come regardless of what you do or how you prepare the metal.

I would like to take the time and do this body justice. So ideally in this type of rust in a seam is the tub off and sandblasted? I am just trying to get a grasp on what I could be looking at here.

OP
OP
aaron6920

aaron6920

Loc.
Dorchester, IA
That's more like rock chips or poor paint prep. Except for the rust in the rocker seam that can be cleaned up and primed. Surface rust on flat panels can be cleaned up no problem. Rust in seams is a PITA.

Broncodriver- the quarter has sever pin holes in it that if cleaned up with a grinder would really show. Same on the quarter behind the tire. Would a patch panel need to be welded in here? I have a millermatic 140 and am experienced welding. But no body work experience.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I would like to take the time and do this body justice. So ideally in this type of rust in a seam is the tub off and sandblasted? I am just trying to get a grasp on what I could be looking at here.

You can sandblast all you want. rust in the seam will still be rust in the seam.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Yep with pinholes either a patch will have to be made or the quarter replaced. Some people might say clean it up and Bondo. I don't believe in that crap, it will always be a problem later on. Until you are ready to take it down and do some panel replacement your best bet is to clean up and neutralize any rust and drive it till you get a second one or until you have the time and money to do it right.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
The striker doesn't look as bad to me as the lower quarter fold does. You could pull the rear wheel off and take a good peak at the backside of the striker post too. Most likely the backside is getting pretty crusty too from the lack of factory paint in that location. The seam sealer has made this one worse over time (like most of our trucks).
Hate to say it, but like the others are saying, unless you dig deep and get all the rust out and seal it good, it will come back on you. Plain and simple.
I'd wire brush it best you can and hit with a good rust converter. It will buy you some time until you do the eventual frame off. ;)

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
I agree 100%.

Yep with pinholes either a patch will have to be made or the quarter replaced. Some people might say clean it up and Bondo. I don't believe in that crap, it will always be a problem later on. Until you are ready to take it down and do some panel replacement your best bet is to clean up and neutralize any rust and drive it till you get a second one or until you have the time and money to do it right.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The body has been off once and the frame done so the nice thing is at least the body should come off easily.

Now you are thinkin like a Bronco owner. ;) These trucks can be a real PITA when they want to but as long as you look at the positive side of it they are always a blast. Now how about them pics?;D