• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you change the FJ Mirror light bulb?

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,
I've got some FJ mirrors and I want to change the bulbs to amber bulbs to use them as signals.

Does anyone know how to open those side mirrors up without breaking it?

Thanks,
Chris

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
You take them to the Toyota Dealership and get bent over for it, like all the other Toyota owner's do. Sorry, I couldn't resist and I really don't know the answer to your question, but because my wife drives a Lexus and the parts and service are so rediculously expensive, I had to vent.

Have you tried the FJ forums? I'll be camping this weekend with one of the Toyota engineers that was in charge of the US FJ launch, so I'll ask for you, but you'll have to wait until Wednesday for an answer. I'll be the only Ford in a large group of 4Runners and FJ's. As a funny side story, I went along when he was doing some offroad testing with a new FJ and a 4Runner. They had a professional photgrapher along to get action shots and when we got back my friend complained that he could use very few of the pictures, because my EB was in most of them. Sorry for the brief hi-jack.

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Damn EBers. Always stealing the spotlight.;) The photographer probably liked it.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
CoBlu77
Great hi-jack!! Any chance of seeing some of those pics? Or better yet, any chance of your friend getting us a Toyota discount? Actually I like the FJ's but have never owned a car newer than 1968 so I'm a bit reluctant to have car payments.
Have a great weekend!
Chris-

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
.... They had a professional photgrapher along to get action shots and when we got back my friend complained that he could use very few of the pictures, because my EB was in most of them. Sorry for the brief hi-jack.

Well that is just the way it goes, the FJ needed recovery support to be close at hand, besides, at least one good looking truck needed to be in those photos. ;D

Sorry to continue the hijack, but I had to take a dig at the FJ cause I think they look goofy, like a big 4x4 bubble.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I like the blacked out TRD FJ.

BUT I tried tapping on the FJ frame with my finger nail and it sounded like an empty Sapporo beer can when dropped them off the work bench.

Hmmm...nevertheless I'm going to wire up the FJ power mirrors and signals.

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Um..why not? I can do a little write up on "FJ Power Mirrors" installed.

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
Continuing the hi-jack, but veering back EB. Here are some of the pictures. Note in the last picture, there are 2 Broncos. The one to the far right is a BB that had a bad day. That FJ, is called a "Wilderness Edition". I got to drive it some on that trip and I did not like it at all. It was hard to see over the hood and the rear blind spots were terrible.

Attachments

• mackinaw4-small.jpg
    mackinaw4-small.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 38
  • mackinaw7-small.jpg
    mackinaw7-small.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 56
  • mackinaw16.jpg
    mackinaw16.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 42

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
I have always been really curious.. Are those lights driving lights and do they help? Could you actually rewire and throw some bigger bulbs in or are the just small marker lights?
It would be cool if they acted like fog lights or something because they look like they would be great offroad for seeing around corners.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=http://www.fjc...mirror-lights-turn-signal-conversion.html&l=1
:) its the top one

OP
OP
taipeichris

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
I think the lights are decorative side marker lights on the FJ mirrors, the sales guy told me they are "heated mirrors" since the heat from the light will heat the mirrors defrosting them. Ha, what a salesman...

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
hahaha Thats pretty funny, in that case I have alot of heated components on the bronco :)

Did you follow the link above to the fj forum for your lights? After you click my link its the top one on the page
The article has stuff you dont need but tells you how to pull em apart/switch bulbs

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
How do you change the FJ mirror light bulb

Since this thread looks pretty well finished. How many modifications do you need to do to the FJ mirrors to make them work on the bronco door? I am kinda assuming that the mirror doesn't quite have the same curve as the bronco door that we would be mounting them too.

Ben

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
Since this thread looks pretty well finished. How many modifications do you need to do to the FJ mirrors to make them work on the bronco door? I am kinda assuming that the mirror doesn't quite have the same curve as the bronco door that we would be mounting them too.

Ben

They look to fit the lines surprisingly well. Here is the pic the admin posted a link to earlier. I really like these and it is what I plan to run.

2010-03-20-Stampede_015_Large_.JPG

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks man! Yes they look like a great fit, I recall someone saying in a prior post that they required some minor trimming for better fitment?

Oh yeah, Jon thats a nice looking rig.

Ben