• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how do you half cab guys mount your spare tires?

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
Just looking for some spare tire mounting options-

currently running 35" rockers, may move up to 37's eventually.

L.R. :cool:

u10072

Bronco Guru
Here is one if my methods..,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 74
OP
OP
LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
I am thinking of something in the bed. Maybe even have a seat or 2 on top of the tire somehow?

just kicking around ideas at this time-

L.R.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Mine sits vertically on the passenger side against the bulkhead/cab - weight on the bed . It's bolted to the factory "slot/mount" in the bulkhead with the stock carrage bolt , backing plate ,wingnut affair.
My tire is considerably bigger than the stock one so I had to extend the mounting bracket toward the driver side.{ to clear the passenger side wheel well/ inner fender}
But I plan on welding a bar/bracket horizontally to the roll bar "uprights" so I can attach the tire mounting bracket to - a little more sturdy than the bulkhead sheet metal.
SHX

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I have a crossbar mounted to the rear legs of my roll bar. Weight of the tire (35 on a steel rim) rests on the rear of the bed. Mounts vertical to save floor space. And allow the tailgate to close. I mount my high lift on it too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 62

Brittain

Loc.
Wichita
I went with an easy solution, where I wanted accessibility when I wanted so I vertically put the spare against the tailgate and ratchet strapped it in going from one side to the other around the back part of the roll bar. Then for theft protection I bought a heavy duty bike lock and went thru the middle of the rim attaching the lock to the roll bar. The lock doubles as a "a crap the tailgate didnt get closed properly and there goes my spare rolling past me" safety device. My thinking was for ease of use because we like to open the tailgate and sit around bonfires I wanted something that wasnt mounted permanently.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
would love to see a picture of that setup!

L.R.
If you're speaking of my current setup ; It was one of the factory mounting options . Except i had to move the tire toward the driver side and instead of the tire standing paralell to the bulkhead i have it standing vertically.
When i get the crossbar/bracket welded in i'll attach the tire mount to that. The crossbar has to be fairly low to fit in the space between the wheel/tire and the bulkhead .
I wanted my spare to be mounted close to the cab - leaves room to haul stuff and sit on tailgate without dealing with the spare .
I've seen them mounted on a crossbar [welded from lateral bar to lateral bar} at the rear . Either vertically or horizontal,or paralell with the roll bar . I've seen pictures of the "crossbar" on a swivel/hinge. Tire and mount Either swings vertically up toward cab or toward the passenger side.
Hmm - in this case i guess a picture might be worth a 1000 words. :)
SHX

methcat

Loc.
long beach
I have a crossbar mounted to the rear legs of my roll bar. Weight of the tire (35 on a steel rim) rests on the rear of the bed. Mounts vertical to save floor space. And allow the tailgate to close. I mount my high lift on it too.
I've seen pictures of the "crossbar" on a swivel/hinge. SHX

mine is similar, but i made a swing out gate for it.

Last edited: