• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you know you're in 4 wheel drive?

TorchRedTulsan

Maybe this goes in the tech section, but how do you know if you're in 4 wheel drive? We had ice and snow today so I put it in 4 high, but couldn't tell a difference. Still slid all over the place, even at low speed (pulling in the driveway)

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

Did you lock the front hubs in?

No. I guess I need to?

Here was the attempt I just made to back out in a straight line, then pull back in. It started going sideways as soon as the rear wheels hit the driveway. Had to roll the window down and push off the house to keep from hitting it. Didn't think I'd ever get it straight to pull in

What I can't figure out is how there are people driving up and down my street, but I can't even get 5 feet once I get in the street

IMG_20131205_173833_155_zpsdc88567f.jpg

08ag

Loc.
Rockwall TX
4wd isn't really going to stop the sliding, its only going to help you go the direction you want to go (i.e. in turns and accelerating) and x2 on the above.

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

4wd isn't really going to stop the sliding, its only going to help you go the direction you want to go (i.e. in turns and accelerating) and x2 on the above.

Okay, thanks. Maybe I just need to change my expectations of 4 wheel drive

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I usually wait until the rear tires are sunk in the mud until the back bumper touches the ground. Then I put it in 4x4 and lock the hubs. If I can drive out, I'm probably in 4 wheel drive.;)

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

I usually wait until the rear tires are sunk in the mud until the back bumper touches the ground. Then I put it in 4x4 and lock the hubs. If I can drive out, I'm probably in 4 wheel drive.;)

Interesting. I think I can make it to my neighbor's yard and give that a try

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

Locked in the hubs and she went straight as an arrow! Thanks!! The girl is stuck at the hospital after a 12+ hour shift, she'll be most appreciative.

Are there special considerations to take with the hubs locked? Speed, distance, etc?

Desert Rider

Loc.
Albuquerque
In 4 Wheel Drive or Not

If you turn the wheel all the way (left or right) while you are moving forward slowly, you can be sure that you are in four wheel drive...since the front of the rig will sort of jerk while moving...especially in dirt or snow. And yes, you must lock hubs before you engage into 4 wheel drive.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
If you turn the wheel all the way (left or right) while you are moving forward slowly, you can be sure that you are in four wheel drive...since the front of the rig will sort of jerk while moving...especially in dirt or snow. And yes, you must lock hubs before you engage into 4 wheel drive.

X2....you KNOW when 4-wheel drive is engaged when you are driving. It feels totally different.

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

And yes, you must lock hubs before you engage into 4 wheel drive.

At all times, even if not in dirt or snow? I ask because, before it got too bad, I went ahead and put it in 4 high without locking the hubs. Drove it around town a little bit like that before the ice started and forced me home

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...Are there special considerations to take with the hubs locked? Speed, distance, etc?

With everything in good operating condition, about the only thing you have to concern yourself with is if you're in 4wd and doing a tight turn. At those acute angles the front u-joints are at their weakest. So if you're doing turns, just keep a light touch on the throttle.

Otherwise, there are no restrictions that I can think of for running with the hubs locked.
In fact, in your situation you might as well just leave them locked as long as you feel you might be needing 4wd at all. That way, all you have to do is to engage the transfer case shifter and you're good to go. You won't even have to get out again.

In extreme areas, many people just leave the hubs locked all winter and simply shift in and out of 4wd low or high as needed.

When in 4wd with the hubs locked, you need to be conscious of the road conditions. As it dries up and you're on hard pavement, kick it back into 2wd and only put it back in when you need the extra traction.
There is always going to be a naturally tendency to bind the driveline in 4wd. The front and rear differentials are very often running with just slightly different ratios (for example, 4.10 front and 4.11 rear). So on high-traction surfaces you should be in 2wd to avoid binding. In slipperier conditions, it doesn't matter because tires can always spin a little independently of each other.
On an AWD (all-wheel drive) vehicle, this effect, along with uneven traction funkiness, is minimized by there being another differential in the middle. Instead of a locked gear like you have in our transfer cases, there is some slip built in to the system so that you can run them at any speed on any surface. Most stay engaged all the time, and nowadays most (if not all) are computer controlled anyway, so may know better than you anyway, what to do about it all. ;D

And the last thing to consider with any full 4-wheel drive vehicle like this, is that unless you have some sort of traction aiding device (limited slip or locker) you may only have 1 wheel drive or 2 wheel drive. With open differentials, only one wheel is actually getting any power of note. With a limited slip or locker though, power is being fed to both wheels. Sometimes at different rates, sometimes equally (locker or spool).
The upside is more available traction. The downside is if you loose traction with both wheels on an icy surface, it can be more dangerous due to having both wheels wanting to spin equally. This usually pushes you sideways uncontrollably.

So see? It's not as simple and no-brainer-ish as one might think. It can aid in your journey, but there's always something else to think about.

After all... having 4-wheel drive just means you get stuck deeper and harder and farther away from help!

So while it's mostly good, there is some bad to keep in mind, covering your individual circumstances.
So, do you know if you have a traction aiding device in either of your diffs?

Paul

Jeff76

Loc.
Alpharetta GA
Okay, thanks. Maybe I just need to change my expectations of 4 wheel drive

I don't think so. If you are in four wheel drive, even in icy conditions, it will feel very different, and be much more capable. I live in Georgia, and we rarely get snow, but when we do, it's mostly ice. I have had the hubs freeze up before. Good idea to lock them when vehicle is left outside before ice conditions occur. If they do freeze up, a bit of propane torch will warm them up.

Jeff

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
At all times, even if not in dirt or snow? I ask because, before it got too bad, I went ahead and put it in 4 high without locking the hubs. Drove it around town a little bit like that before the ice started and forced me home

If you don't lock the hubs, you are not in 4 WD no matter what you put the TC into! In slippery conditions keep the hubs locked and shift into 4WD as needed. Having the hubs locked and being in 2WD on dry pavement is not a problem.

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

Thanks for the info DirtDonk. I'd always heard, before I ever had a 4wd vehicle, that you ONLY want to lock front hubs at very low speed and on loose/slick pavements. I guess that had just always stuck with me. I'd never considered leaving them locked and just going in and out of 4wd

I'm going to make a baseless assumption that I do not have any traction aiding devices in either diff. With the hubs locked and in 4wd, am I getting equal power to the front wheels?

Jeff - After locking the hubs, I was able to cruise around the neighborhood at about 20mph and feel comfortable. That made a huge difference.

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

If you don't lock the hubs, you are not in 4 WD no matter what you put the TC into! In slippery conditions keep the hubs locked and shift into 4WD as needed. Having the hubs locked and being in 2WD on dry pavement is not a problem.

Well that just blew my mind... No power is going to either front wheel without the hubs locked?? I have to admit, I thought I knew at least a little more than I'm learning tonight....

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
whrWell that just blew my mind... No power is going to either front wheel without the hubs locked?? I have to admit, I thought I knew at least a little more than I'm learning tonight....

when I first responed I was hopping you wouldn't think I was tryin to be a smart axx;D

Pat'sBronco

Loc.
Murfreesboro, TN
One more key point I might add if I may... With a 4x4 it is easy to get an invincible type thing going on... Just remember it takes just as much space for a 4 by to get stopped as it does a 2 wheel drive. Just puttin that out there.. Happy wheelin!

OP
OP
TorchRedTulsan

TorchRedTulsan

One more key point I might add if I may... With a 4x4 it is easy to get an invincible type thing going on... Just remember it takes just as much space for a 4 by to get stopped as it does a 2 wheel drive. Just puttin that out there.. Happy wheelin!

Thanks Pat. I was actually talking to a buddy from Denver about that exact thing. He used to laugh at the 4wd guys who'd get overconfident in inclimate weather and get in deeper trouble than anyone else. I just want to be able to take back streets the half mile to the grocery store and make sure the GF isn't stranded at work