• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you lock a tailgate?

Buckin'Fronco

Loc.
Seattle
Any ideas on how to create a locking tailgate when the Bronco is topless? I want to do something that looks clean, not just a hasp and pad lock.

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Best way to lock a tailgate with a soft top is push in the lock button on your garage door .... ;D Seriously , whats to lock with a soft top ! ? ! ?:?

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Get a Tuffy console;D

Seriously, no matter how secure you can make your doors and tailgate, a softop is one sharp blade away from being opened up.

Edit: Wait, I just re-read your post. You mean you want to know how to effectively lock your tailgate without any top on at all??

I recommend a laser that will cut their arm off as they reach inside to grab stuff;D

Last edited:

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
i went through this with my vw converible. i stopped locking the doors because the top got sliced open 3 times at 600 bucks a pop. get a lock box.

msweb

Bronco Guru
Soft top? I thought he said topless? Trust me, I catch words like that one!!!;D

Buckin'Fronco- how about a springloaded plunger type lock that would bolt to the inside of the tailgate and lock into the bed/stake pocket area? You could easily put one on either side or both and have them keyed alike.

OP
OP
B

Buckin'Fronco

Loc.
Seattle
msweb,

That's what I will look into.

The reason I want to lock the tailgate is I have speakers behind the seat and under a wooden cover that is all bolted down. The only way to steal this is to unbolt the back seat or open the tailgate and take it out. If the tailgate is locked it would be a pain to unbolt the seat. Nothing is theft proof, but it would slow them down enough to make it less worth while and target another vehicle

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
Another idea would be to put a pin switch on the tailgate wired to a relay to the horn so when the tailgate is opened the horn sounds continuously

msweb

Bronco Guru
Glad I could help - and give myself a great idea (I just thought of it when I saw your post).

Chuck, Tom, y'all want to get in on a great idea??? I'll draw it up and make the first one if y'all want to sell it! That is of course, if it's not already out there???

Maybe the idea will sell like crazy and I'll make tons of money so I can build the perfect trail rig that can be dropped off of a two story building AND still cruise the boulevard sporting it's 26 coats of cherry red paint that can't be scratched, bent or broken...%)

msweb

Bronco Guru
mlogan24 said:
Ahhh-that makes sense. Sorry, but I couldn't help cracking the joke-too good to let slide.

You might want to try adapting one of these electric tailgate lock solenoids-;D

Damn - that's an even better idea :'(