• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How far should a WH collapsible steering shaft extend?

hatleyjm

Sorry for the vague title. I'm installing a WH collapsible steering shaft on my 70 bronco with a 4x4x2 steering gear and stock column. After modifying the stock steering shaft to Wild Horses specs, I decided to test fit the new shaft. One reason I needed this shaft is for the dual universal joints due to the geometry of the new box. The other reason is for safety--removing a solid shaft for one that can compress in the event of an accident. Therein lies the problem. Once installed, I noticed that the shaft is quite compressed--it's only extended about 1-2 inches from bottoming out. Is this arrangement safe? If not, approximately how far should the shaft be extended?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Since the idea is for it to collapse during an accident not before one I would be concerned too, seems I remember about half in / half out being about right.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Yes, they are a cut to fit, because of so many variables. Body lift, type of column. The half “n” half is what I did too.

Mark

OP
OP
hatleyjm

hatleyjm

Thanks for the replies. I should have noted in my original post that this is a custom shaft built by WH. I also thought about cutting it down but I don't know that I should because it has a machined notch in the inner shaft that has a spring of sorts to dampen vibrations. Also, the shaft is plated to prevent rust and cutting it off would null this protection. I guess my question is, has anyone else seen this before or is this uncommon with WH shafts and should I contact WH?

Last edited:

Tomcat2

I had the exact thoughts on mine. You can cut the other end of the shaft (the u joint end) to allow it to collapse more. The 2 set screws on the u joint have detents in the shaft for additional security. You can mimick that with a drill press.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
You can cut the 1" DD tube so you have more collapse. That's the builders choice. I would not cut it more than 2". If you have more room above to shorten down the stock upper shaft that would be another option that would expand the working measurement of the shaft.

Jim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And Jim can confirm, but I believe these are all stainless-steel, so cutting and grinding on them, and drilling new dimples for the set-screws does not hurt their corrosion resistance. I don't believe they are plated, but are just polished.

If that's wrong sorry for the misinformation. If they'd been changed, I missed that memo.%);D

Paul

OP
OP
hatleyjm

hatleyjm

Thanks all for the replies. I thought the shaft was plated based off the WH video but i'm glad that it is SS so that it will last much longer. Am I just being paranoid? is 2" of compression plus the double U-joints enough insurance in case of an accident? I'd prefer not to cut on the shaft if possible. I might be able to remove a bit more material on the stock shaft now that I'm an expert at removing the column %)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's another option. How much did you leave sticking out? Don't think you want to cut it down too much, but hey, a little is as good as a mile, if it's enough.

I'll get confirmation on the material just the same, but I'm pretty sure it's still stainless.

Let you know when I find out.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sorry hatley. I'm way off base and didn't even check the text on the web page before posting.
Apparently, as you had already determined, they're not stainless after all. Zinc plated as it states very clearly.

Sorry for adding to the confusion.
But even still, I would not hesitate to cut it to my desired length if it's not acceptable. Just paint the end and area that you cut.
Frankly, I think the metal is already some type of resistant stuff. I've cut, drilled and dimpled the stuff without painting the effected surfaces and never noted any rust.
But now that I know, I'll be painting the surfaces that I customize anyway.

Up to now the most important thing for the installer to remember has been to USE THE THREAD LOCKER! ;D

Paul

OP
OP
hatleyjm

hatleyjm

Paul, NBD thanks for checking and updating. I left about 1-3/4" of the original shaft (the directions said 1-1/2" but I wanted to be conservative...in case I messed up). I'll check into cutting down the new lower shaft a bit. Yeah, I'll definitely use the thread locker. No way I want that thing coming loose.

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Paul, NBD thanks for checking and updating. I left about 1-3/4" of the original shaft (the directions said 1-1/2" but I wanted to be conservative...in case I messed up). I'll check into cutting down the new lower shaft a bit. Yeah, I'll definitely use the thread locker. No way I want that thing coming loose.

Bringing this back to the top to see if you cut it. What WH sent me is about 1 1/2” too long compressed. Seems like there should be some room for compression. I’m running a 4x4x2 box and had to cut the stock manual shaft and add a joint to shorten it to fit. Bought the collapsable shaft for safety

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bringing this back to the top to see if you cut it. What WH sent me is about 1 1/2” too long compressed. Seems like there should be some room for compression. I’m running a 4x4x2 box and had to cut the stock manual shaft and add a joint to shorten it to fit.
Glad you brought it back up. Always good to revisit this kind of thing.
Sorry yours was too long too, but you are correct that you want as much collapsability as you can get safely, while still allowing for frame flex and other lifestyle oddities.
Thanks for the replies. I should have noted in my original post that this is a custom shaft built by WH.
Sorry again that yours was too long as well. Seems like the 4x4x2 box can be mounted in so many ways, that perhaps that's at least one of the issues here. In our gearbox swap kits we recommended a position that puts the boxes quite a bit forward. Notching the front body mount gusset is necessary for that position. Perhaps this is what's creating this too-long scenario for you both.
I'd be interested to see how both you and Chief Master Sergeant have your boxes mounted.
Perhaps it's not enough of a difference in location to be the issue, but it's worth visiting for this discussion for sure.
I also thought about cutting it down but I don't know that I should because it has a machined notch in the inner shaft that has a spring of sorts to dampen vibrations.
Seems like the expedient thing here, is to look at three points on the shafts for shortening.
1. Making sure the stock shaft is not being left too long. If there is room to shorten it, that would be my first go.
2. Cutting the larger (female) 1" DD shaft shorter. Preferably at the top end, under the yoke/u-joint. Although the lower end remains protected under the boot, so there is that.
Cutting it shorter at the lower end would make it so that you don't have to re-dimple or drill anything, but you definitely don't want to cut too much.
3. Cutting the lower 3/4" DD shaft. This could be done at either end, but due to the notch for the spring, my first choice would be the lower end at the box.
Cutting the upper end ensures that a cut end where the zinc has been compromised stays greased and out of the weather. But paint can pretty much do the same thing.
Cutting the lower end at the joint would be simple, and dimpling really is not that big a deal with careful marking and a good drill bit.

I can't say for sure on each one of your applications, but it seems like one or more of those places would be able to net you the desired shortening factor.
And as mentioned already, a quick spritz of some good paint will go a long way to a good night's sleep. Rustoleum Rust Converting Primer has always worked wonders in my experience. Very durable.

Paul

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I ended up cutting 2 1/2” off each piece. Gave me just enough play to allow it to collapse and not put the steering shaft through my chest in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Remember this when installing and being concerned about getting stabbed from a strg shaft. If it has joints in the shaft btw the box and actual column) to help with angles then the shaft will not get "shoved" straight if the box or frame is bent. Of course the entire box, intermediate shaft and column could get shoved into the passenger compartment but the shaft will not be perfectly straight and push everything straight back - unlike the videos of sticks going thru firewalls or floorboards of SXS's and almost impaling the people inside.

The double D won't slide if it's in a bind from the ujoint being pushed sideways because both ujoints (at the box and at the end of the column) are at an angle- wish I could explain it more clearly

I wanted to make sure it was ez to understand so... I went to Borgeson

Attachments

• 20240713_223459.jpg
    20240713_223459.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: