• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How fast do you go thru a tank of welding gas?

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
I just ran out!! i cannot believe it...seems to fast. Fender, wheel well, bumpers, floorboards then hssssssss.....puff. Is that right?

Lttrbox

Loc.
IF
How bigs your tank? Im not sure the size of mine, but I dont have the little one, the next size up. Had it for almost a year. Two bumpers, inboard shock hoop, wristed arm mods, various miscellaneous stuff. Doesnt sound like much, equates to about 6 pounds of wire. Still have enough to finish and build another bumper.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
that sound about right if you have the common sized bottle. floorboards and bumpers can take quite a bit of welding. Make sure the connections are tight.

77sport

Loc.
San Jose, CA
mix up some soapy water and check all your connections really good, i went thru a tank pretty fast and then discovered that one of the connections at the back wasnt tight enough and had a slow leak. since i tightened it the tank seams to last forever.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
a couple of months with a 95# ( I think thats the size) - two hints I would have are:
- close the main valve every time you finish welding, mine emptied a brand new bottle in 4 days when I forgort to close it one time, other times it hasn't been a problem, so it doesn't happen every time

- experiment with the pressure you need to run, the lower pressure you run, the longer your gas will last.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have a small bottle of CO[sub]2[/sub] and I am still going strong. I really should pull it out and see how heavy it still is. Burned almost an entire 10 pound spool of wire building a bumper. Left it on overnight a few times. Still going.

Next time I plan to swap it in for argon/CO[sub]2[/sub] mix.

Bucmaster

I have the big bottle on the Miller 250 and the med bottle on the Lincoln 125 Plus. Neither ever runs out because my inlaws have a welding shop.