• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How hard to remove c-4

green73brc

well my transmission is leaking and i was curious how hard is a c4 to remove? I figure i can do it my self and save some cash? i tried to do a search and no one really went into detail... i am also thinking while i have it rebuilt i might as well replace the engine and rebuild the t case?

eric

brianca

First time you do it maybe a 6 or 7. After that it's closer to a 4.

brianca..

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
Best advice is to have several extensions for a 3/8ths inch drive so you can reach the bolts on top of the bell housing from below the tranny. I literally use about 3 feet of extensions with a swivel 9/16ths socket along with the help of a friend to guide the socket into place

Case

If you split the trans and transfercase make sure you do it in the right spot. A bath of ATF really isnt that refreshing. ;D ;D I did it by myself but had a tranny jack and just went slow. Not really hard but can be a pain.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Waverous said:
Best advice is to have several extensions for a 3/8ths inch drive so you can reach the bolts on top of the bell housing from below the tranny. I literally use about 3 feet of extensions with a swivel 9/16ths socket along with the help of a friend to guide the socket into place
It's usually easier to take these top 2 off before you go below. Then the rest is under the rig.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
ken75ranger said:
It's usually easier to take these top 2 off before you go below. Then the rest is under the rig.
Man I wish I could - tried that a couple of times and could never fully reach the bolts. It took a lot less time time using the extensions than it didcoming at it from the top.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
With the right equipment its easy. Without good tools the experience can be regretful. Dont even attenpt it without a good transmission jack. I find it easier to remove the transfer case first by separating it at the transmission extension housing bolts. just some thoughts.

Hey, Eric where is rancho cordova?

OP
OP
G

green73brc

Rancho Cordova is a suburb of Sacramento California... if you are familiar with Sacramento or The rubicon... i am off of highway 50 right before Eldorado hills....

Thanks for all the input... unfortunetly talking with my dad he is not soo keen on the idea... we have had complaints about the bronco being in parts or having a tarp on it and he does not want me to have it dissasembled or in "non drivable condition" so to a shop i will have to take it :(

thanks for all the replies though!

highrlr

Loc.
Bismarck, ND
Neighbors can be a real PITA! Maybe there are some advantages to living in the country in ND, not many neighbors to complain;D