• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How long can you drag out a project ?

Rockmnky

I bought my Bronco three years ago and still seam to be dragging my a$$ getting things done to finally go wheeling in my own rig. Bought a 435 from Neal Welch just before he past away (a great guy,talked broncos and about his racing career)and started to order parts after the Fall Crawl. Got serious about the three speed to 435 swap last month ,pulled the three speed and shifter and it sat. This weekend started the rebuild of the 435,first gear was chewed up and the bearings were shot ! I know you guys like pic's so here you go !!! Sorry the tread is so long.

Attachments

• 100_1130.jpg
    100_1130.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 100_1131.jpg
    100_1131.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_1138.jpg
    100_1138.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1140.jpg
    100_1140.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_1141.jpg
    100_1141.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 53

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Depends on how much you procrastinate....

Welcome to the site...
i am madgyver

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I plan to drag mine out well past my own death. I'm getting my kids addicted so that my projects an be drug out for at least another generation:cool:

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm at about a year and a half right now. i just want it together so i can drive the darn thing.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Hmm, let me give you some perspective. This photograph is my son helping me with the top, obviously.

He's a Sophomore in High School now, he's 6'2 has lettered in Soccer in his first two years in HS.

Edit: Nothing quite like baptism by Paint Stripper with no breathing apparatus. Its a wonder he can walk at all.

Edit #2, see my build thread on this forum, under, " as promised its blue..."

Attachments

• 01-31-2011 11;00;06PM.JPG
    01-31-2011 11;00;06PM.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Rockmnky

Rockmnky

Thanks mad, I like to say "All work done in one day,one day I'll finish it" Ha Ha
Nightstick, you sound like my buddies at work,they give me hell after every weekend !! I'll hear " Did you get your tranny done yet?" They say sorry man alot also !!

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
uhm... I bought my frame up resto in 2005? started resto in '06 and it's now about a week away from firing up, but still has no front clip, no roof, no interior, no windshield, and is only jammed, not painted. so...they take a while...or can. I've met my wife, gotten married and am about to have a kid all in that timeframe.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
i'm at about a year and a half right now. i just want it together so i can drive the darn thing.

Mavereq, just buy another one dude!! That's what I did. That bastard will be on the road here shortly then I can take my time with the original project. Just spend about $1k on something and get her on the road.

I'm with ya rockmnky, we have big plans to get something done that coming weekend, and ya never get it done. I have piles of parts sitting in the shop ready to be installed and haven't got to it yet. I was waiting to get my frame back which I did this past weekend but now I have to wait until it warms up before I can paint which will hopefully be next weekend. Good luck with the tranny, and seriously, Devin might have the record.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've been dragging out doing body work and painting my 73 for over 12 years. Got a 71 sport about 4 years ago and would like to repaint it as well along with installing PS and front discs have all the parts just havent gotten aropund to doing it yet. Have way to many other projects mostly other peoples that I have to do first. been about 5 months on a total restore of a 54 ch#vy dump truck should be done in less then a month if i get my butt in gear.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
Mavereq, just buy another one dude!! That's what I did. That bastard will be on the road here shortly then I can take my time with the original project. Just spend about $1k on something and get her on the road.

I'm with ya rockmnky, we have big plans to get something done that coming weekend, and ya never get it done. I have piles of parts sitting in the shop ready to be installed and haven't got to it yet. I was waiting to get my frame back which I did this past weekend but now I have to wait until it warms up before I can paint which will hopefully be next weekend. Good luck with the tranny, and seriously, Devin might have the record.

i'd love to, but i spend my spare money on bronco parts and uncle sam is getting ready to move me later this year so i don't need to work out the logistics of a fourth vehicle being shipped.

i already have my eye on one that's been in hiding back home so it's only a matter of time.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I bought my bronco when i was 18 and tore it down for a frame off. Im now almost 34 and its still not even a rolling chasis yet! I have done a little every year, some years a little less than a little! BUT......i have been "GOING ALL IN" for the last couple months and have acuired most every part and rebuilt almost every part. When the snow melts around april i will drive to ohio and pick up my glass tub and then get that frame in the garage. I hope to have it on the road a couple weeks after that!

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I started planning my project when I bought my first bronco a 73 in 1992. I had been looking for one since 1985 when I gave up my two 68 Camaros. With life changes good and bad since 92, I'm getting closer to having most of the stuff for a half cab.

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
Bought mine in 01. Tore it down in 04. She still doesn't move. I haven't really done anything for the last year :cry: Need some motivation and money.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
how long

How long well the 1st time I did my 1972 I spent almost 2 years to get it going. I drove it about a year or two then dicided to do a 4BT swap into it. That too took almost a year and a half. Now it been done a year.
...I have a 1976 project setting that I've been gathering parts for for years but it's not considered a project until it get's in the shop.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Yeh I got my wifes 73 bronco back on the road in about 6 months. I also had a 73 sport that took over 3 years doing a frame off on to get back on the road but I never got to do body work on it then sold it. My 67 has been a rolling driving project since I got it back in 2005 but it has just about always be road worthy.

I have also seen guys go all out and get them done in a few months. It all depends on how much time and money you can spend on them. I am now married have 3 step kids and a forth child on the way so I have no time or money for broncos any more!

backpain

Bronco Guru
Bought it in mid 07. Drove 30 mi home at 70mph with zero problems. Drove it for about a week. Got bored. Put in a ltd slip rear and started buying all kinds of accessories and replacing trim and chrome. Got bored. Took out the carpet and started cleaning up the floor. Got bored - didn't finish, but go bored. Replaced body mounts. Got bored so took off the front clip. Got bored. Took out the perfectly good 302 and built an engine. Tinkered for a few months. Let is sit for a year. Maybe I'll get it finished . . .er.... I mean...get it driveable in '11 . . and then in 2012 will finish it.

You're ahead of the game.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
9 years start to current state. They are never really finished but 16 years to a rolling chassis is going to set a record!