• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How long can you drag out a project ?

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Bought in 1999. Moved across the country (last time truly on the road). Tore it down to the frame in 2000. Moved across the country. Worked on it some more. Moved across the country. Got it running and paint job. Moved across the country. Planning on completing final items this year (hopefully don't move across the country).

Uncle Sam has not been too supportive of the rebuild.

dirtwheels

Work Buddies

Thanks mad, I like to say "All work done in one day,one day I'll finish it" Ha Ha
Nightstick, you sound like my buddies at work,they give me hell after every weekend !! I'll hear " Did you get your tranny done yet?" They say sorry man alot also !!

Hey Mike, Get off the computer and put that transmission back together! (Sorry ,Man)

PhantomEB

Loc.
Calgary, Alberta
This july will be 10 years... first drove it last may In Moab. now its torn apart for suspension and wheelbase mods as well EFI... they are never done. Sure wish I could get happy with mine to stop moddin it so I can start on my street rod truck the 55.

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
i got mine in 97, did some mods then had no time as i was working 2 jobs, then moved to FL got it running, wheeled it at one outing and then got it lifted and 3 weeks later a idiot turned in front of me and drove off while i rolled 3x at 55... Now im doing a frame off of a 74 using the frame off my 73. trying to figure out what trans and engine i want to go with and where to get it...

Hank_

Bronco Guru
I keep reading about all the long builds and it started to freak me out. There is no way I have the time or patience to take years to get my bronco back on the road. I purchased mine last may. I picked up all the necessary parts to lift it. I installed the lift and started to por 15 the frame and noticed a bunch of rust holes in the frame. I found a different frame that I just got welded up and painted this last weekend. I want mine back on the road this summer. The body may not be done with new paint but it will be able to go down the road. I was just looking out side at the snow piling up (we are in a blizzard warning right now) and was thinking how much fun I would be having busting through drifts if the bronco was done. Keep up the hard work you guys are doing because I dont know how you do it.

Henry

Dano 407

Loc.
The Orange Groves
I wrenched on mine a lot in the 80s, then repainted it and wrenched on it a lot more in the 90's. EFI went in in '01.

Right now its torn down for another repaint, another motor and some rust repair; just shy of a body off. I hope to have it back together in 8 months build time. 2012 will be 30 years with the same Bronco, it will never really be "done".

OP
OP
Rockmnky

Rockmnky

Brian(Dirtwheels) I knew you was going to say that!Ha Ha Yea I know that I require a kick start ! hank I feel like you, I know that I procrastinate but wow!!!! I don't wan't to take years to enjoy my Bronco!!!!! Or leave it for my family to finish after Im gone(just the thought cracks me up!!! Would make a funny show for TV!!) I started this thread to make public I'm getting the Bronco road-trail worthy soon. Thanks guys for your comments and feel free to bitch at me if my tranny isn't done soon. Like mad said a little motivation can go a long ways. (brian see you this weekend.)

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
The last registration sticker says, 1997. So I'm into it 13 years but truly have been working on it the last 5 yrs.

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
I have championed the dragging out process to nearly every project. I now calculate start - finish times by multiplication factors. Ok, this project should take 3 days of work - worse case .... Ok so we'll multiply by 10 X ... Bank on at least 1 month for completion.

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I got my first Bronco in the Winter of 2009. I finished it in the Summer of 2010. I guess about 6 months. 1st thing make an inventory of what you will need. Go over the truck from head to toe. Buy everything in Winter. Store it until Spring. Now comes the hardest part rip the truck apart. I don't mean disassemble the engine. If you engine is shot replace it. Don't waste your time rebuilding engines, transmissions, axles when there are numerous engines, transmissions and axles around you could buy. Don't buy used unless you know the source or can tell if it is good or bad, otherwise buy it new! It will cost you more but in the long run it will be the cheapest route. My mom allows told me that buying cheap is always the most expensive route. She hasn't been wrong yet.

This bad boy has all new suspension and brakes. It also has new floors. The interior is designed for going topless in Summer. I got the Bronco from the painters the same day. I obviously had it painted in Summer. A fellow Classic Broncos forum member sold me the half cab top. I removed the toolbox in back and replaced it with a rollbar. The front bumper is 1/4 thick. It is as tough as nails. Avoid cheap 1/8 thick bumpers unless you plan on restoring it again.

Attachments

• 3k43o83l55P85Sa5Rda1bb7078d51a86e13f8.jpg
    3k43o83l55P85Sa5Rda1bb7078d51a86e13f8.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 2
  • moto_0453.jpg
    moto_0453.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2
  • moto_0711.jpg
    moto_0711.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2
  • moto_0714.jpg
    moto_0714.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • moto_0727.jpg
    moto_0727.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 2
  • moto_0773.jpg
    moto_0773.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
Don't feel bad about dragging out a project......

My first car is/was a 1970 Fastback Mustang. My dad bought it for me and him to restore by my 16th birthday. I can't remember for sure but i think we bought it when i was around 13 yrs old (1994). When my 16 birthday was about 2 months away (Dec '97), he took a 1950 Dodge Truck that we had restored for my older brother (finished it in 1990) and had the brakes replaced on it and I had to drive it. Not complaining too much about it because it had a 400 Chrysler Big Block in it.

When the mustang wasn't done by my 16th b'day, he said, we will have it finished by the time you graduate high school (2000)......when that came and passed, he then said that he would have it finished by the time I graduated college...... well, I have two 2-yr degrees from community college and a 4-yr bachelor degree (2009).

I have worked on the '70 model a little bit since I have graduated.....but not as much as I would like. When I was 19 I bought a 1988 Mustang LX 5.0L Coupe...that took a lot of my money....still have the car. I have spent time and money on other cars over the years instead of the '70 for some reason.

Now....the bronco addiction has hit me. I purchased my first one in Sept/Oct '09. I bought my second one around Dec. '10.

I guess the point of this long rant/hijack is that projects can draggggggg out sometimes...I know cause i have a few.

1970 Fastback Mustang w/390 c.i. big block c-6 9" posi rear
Time on Project.........17 yrs and counting...