• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How many RPM’s is too many?

BulldogBronco

I have a guy helping me with remote Holley Sniper EFI tuning. So far the results have been really good and I’m happy with it. We’re to the point of tuning wide open throttle and he wants to me to do data logs up to 5,000 - 5500 RPM’s so he can tune the top end fuel tables. I never really push my Bronco like that so I’m a little weary and want to see if you guys think it’s safe in general to go to the 5K+ range. Rebuilt 302 with a mild cam. Also can that do any damage to the transmission or any other components like rear end, etc?

doran4x

Contributor
If the engine is solid a small block will spin to 6500 - 7000. I have run mine at 4000 with bursts to 5500-6000 in sand washes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A good engine can rev and survive. But why? Just take a the data log for as high as YOU are willing to rev the engine. Add a few hundred RPM and set the rev limiter. No worry about reving it too much.

No, you will not hurt things like transmission

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The stock cam and induction were topped out at 4500 RPM. Yours may rev higher, but why? I navigate dry sand washes well without ever winding up the engine.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is it balanced, they will rev but unless you have a crazy cam your not making any power up there 5000 is a good point, you can always run it higher but depends on the rebuild and who did it

Broncobowsher

Total hack
And were the valve springs upgraded when the cam was put in? Valve float can really tear up a top end. Bottom end is generally good so long as the oiling system is up to snuff.

chuck1022

Contributor
I have a stock 77, 29 inch tires, 3.50 gears.....C4 tranny. when I am on the freeway doing 62 MPH, it sounds like I am turning 8100rpm.......;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And were the valve springs upgraded when the cam was put in? Valve float can really tear up a top end. Bottom end is generally good so long as the oiling system is up to snuff.

This ^. The little 302 in my '72 EB race truck didn't make peak power until 7300 and routinely saw over 9000 during a race. The bottom end was nothing special...race balanced, good pistons, rods polished and peened, Mex block well prepared, some oiling system mods. The top end however...whole different story. 5500 is a typically very safe upper limit without significant mods to the top end.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When the engine relocates itself in pieces. Haaaaa
Till it blows. Haa

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
You need a dyno to see where it falls off.

If you have stock heads she may fall off right at 5000 like falling off a ladder.