• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much does "original paperwork" or other items of interest add to the value?

Broncitis

MEB Founder
How much does "original paperwork" or other items of interest add to the value?

I have wondered this before, and again when I read a recent thread last last night. I posted this question there, but it was buried in a for sale post where someone posted a CL ad for a Baja, which was also posted by the owner in another thread.

Just curious, with all else being equal, what do you guys think all the original paperwork (window sticker, order sheet, invoice or bill of sale, owners manual with dealer stamp, protecto-plate, etc.) truly adds to the final value versus a comparable rig (verified original Stroppe or Ranger vs Ranger, etc.) without the paperwork.

I know we all like to see it, and like to think it adds value, but if YOU were cutting the check, how much more would you be willing to add for original paperwork on a very nice original rig?

The post that sparked me to wonder about this question again:
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226871

By a similar thought process. My dad and I have also thought that if we ever decided to sell his 66 U13 "40th Anniversary Bronco", we would install the original hood back on it and not sell it with the special 40th Anniversay hood, which we originally intended to only have on for 2006. However, since we ended up getting the signatures of all of the former Baja Racers who raced Broncos that participated in "An evening with the Legends" at the Early Bronco Registry 40th event in Victorville, CA, as well as Edsel Ford II and Henry Ford III when we had it on display in the lobby of FoMoCo headquarters in 06-07, we would want to keep that piece as a wall hanger in our garage since it represents some great trips we had meeting some very interesting people.

However, with that said, it is likey that anyone who would want to buy that Bronco, would also want that hood since it is part of its provenance (it even has the 40th Anniversary Johnny Lightning diecast patterned after it, including the logo on the hood). So, as most of us know, most everything has a price. What would some you think a fair additional price for the 40th hood would be if sold with the vehicle?

Again, this is just out of curiosity, this Bronco is not currently for sale.

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is a VERY interesting question Drew. When I purchased my Pantera, it came with a huge wad of original "paperwork"...the original purchase paperwork..all the many TSBs and receipts showing those were done......including receipts and even color photographs of the engine build and other work done by a famous west coast prep shop to make it ready fro Gr4 racing.

I saw none of that before I bought the car and it added zero to the "cash" value even though having found it and gone through it all I "value" it a good bit. Enough to have added to the purchase price? .....I don't think so.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I wouldn't think much. When I bought mine it came with over 15 years of service receipts. Honestly I threw the majority of it in the trash. The only thing I kept were the receipts from the Bronco vendors so I knew what products and from who were added to it. Original bill of sale etc. is nice to have when telling a story but not worth much to me. The collector car guys may pay a little more for stuff like that but really it is more about justifying their asking price than the paperwork adding any real value.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Agreed. No intrinsic value to me other than for laughs -- original price, dealer who sold it, etc. It may convey information about upkeep in a good way but otherwise I could care less.

BDAZSVT

I think a paper trail would definately increase the value of original low miles or low production(stroppe) broncos. One like mine that has had a lot of sheet metal replaced and is not original, paper is just a novelty.

tcb-1

Loc.
Shawnee, KS
My '73 came with all 40 years worth of receipts, DMV slips, the original bill of sale, warranty plate, and all the original buyer's portfolio of "stuff" that's usually in the glove box when you purchase a vehicle.

It was nice, but I didn't realize I had these items until it was loaded off the transport. So for me, it didn't sway me to drop more coin.

HOWEVER, with this being said, original paperwork does seem to matter now with the original paint craze in some hobby vehicle markets. I have bought and sold old Harley's for years, and people are now starting to pay a LOT more for original paperwork. But comparing that to eb's is an apples to oranges comparison.

I do foresee a time in the furture that original paperwork will start to sway prices. I think the big auction houses really tout original "this and that", and what happens there usually trickles into the craiglist/ebay/private sales markets.

My .02

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I would pay more if they took and cleaned out the papers and stuff from the glove box...Heck my 1967 came with the orginal spare tire which still has the nubs......but If I were to sell it.....I WOULD NOT ADVERTISE THAT FACT...I dont think anyone cares...do you

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
I personally love the " glove box candy". I can't price " it", but it always makes me smile when it's in there. Owner's manual and build sheet just make it sweeter!

CLK Foxhall

My guess is - To whatever degree the prospective buyer is into having the truck 'original, stock & collectible', to the same degree,.... the paperwork would be considered ephemera.

For one of a kind, or extremely scarce trucks - It probably wouldn't matter much (where else are you gonna find another example, anyways).

For the semi-scarce trucks - I could see the paperwork being a price differentiator.

Personally & hypothetically - For the original/rare/collectible type trucks,... And all else being equal - I could see myself paying 5% more.

But I like that kind of stuff, as it pertains to rare items.

Just My Opinion!
~CLK

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I think it depends on the Bronco and the sale, if you have an original solid bronco probably adds a little interest and possibly again depending on what it is, window sticker, build sheet, unique owner, etc maybe adds a little more $$$. Maybe it would help the buyer make their decision thinking if the seller kept the paperwork/owner stuff then maybe they kept up with the maintenance and took care of the Bronco.

For things like your hood I think that's a bit more of the right person for the right product.. someone would pay big money, most would not.

For most Bronco sales.. no I dont think it matters, for some yes definitely adds value and maybe prestige to the sale. Way to be clear as mud :)

For the record, i have the original owner card, manual, sales brochure and other little knick knacks.. I dont think it will add any value when I sell my 76.. but the restoration did!

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
My general experience has been the better the paperwork, the more meticulous the owner. It seems as that certain generations took much more pride in owning and maintaining. If I was guessing maybe 500 premium for great paperwork. Maybe something really rare a 1k at most. ( in Hemi cars or Shelbys this would be much more important than in Broncos).

Regarding your hood tough to say, some guys would paint it over and others may think a few thousand more.

Last edited:

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
that hood? give ya $50.00 for it ;D
agreed that it is cool but for most of us bottom feeders it would not make a big difference as far as purchasing....if the price is right? it's right.....we"re not talking the 1913 Franklin or anything %)

BajaFresh75

Bronco Guru
I always prefer buying and owning Broncos with history and stories. Paperwork documents history. I want to know as much as possible about any classic I'm buying. To me personally it makes the Bronco more valuable. Not necessarily monetarily valuable, but definitely more desirable. When I'm chasing down a classic Bronco, the story behind it means something to me. The chase is most of the fun. Who doesn't like a good barn story?

If I buy a ragged out rusty garden variety Bronco, I usually keep the owners manual! I have dozens. If I have a one owner vehicle and know the story behind it, and the memories the owners tell me, and why they bought it and kept it for 20, 30, 40 or more years, I'm intrigued. It is amazing to me that someone would keep anything that long. Then, to also have all it's original paperwork, window sticker, mileage logs etc. that's rare...especially for a Bronco. That's the type of person I prefer to buy a vehicle from. That's the paperwork I like to show for others to see.

I've owned hundreds of Broncos since my first one in '82, and the rarer the better. Paperwork in general is rare for a 47 year old Bronco. Even now a lot of people on here could care less about it, or at least wouldn't pay more for it. That's why it is rare, most of that stuff didn't make it through the 80's and 90's. Hell, the first thing I used to do was cut an uncut as soon as I bought it, back in the 90's. Then I'd lift it and throw on some 33's! Now it's just the opposite, and now there are fewer originals out there.
I'll pay for a story, if documentation is a story, I'll ante up.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Just to be clear, I am not really talking about Autozone receipts and not any paperwork for a run of the mill, half beat, or common modified Broncos.

I can only really see paperwork adding anything to a rare, unique, or very original and unmolested example such as the Baja in the thread I referenced in my original post.

I also realize that many on here would just throw it all out, but these are likely not the guys looking to buy something rare, unique, or very original.

I tend to agree with CLK, on a nice original Bronco, I could see myself going an extra $500 for unique paperwork (original window sticker, warranty card/plate, order form / sales papers, salesman's card and dealer promo items, owners manual or sales brochure with dealers stamp, buck tag, etc.), not just maintenance receipts, common NOS sales brochures, etc. Maybe up to $1K if it had most all I listed and the vehicle had a really good story and history behind it that was supported with the paperwork.

As for the signed 40th hood, for only a few grand, it would be sold with the original hood and the signed hood would be hung on my garage wall to enjoy looking at for many years to come.:)