• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much does a stock 66-77 Bronco weigh?

bosshoff

Contributor
Guys, looking into the idea of a trailer. Kind of looking at if I should go with one axle vs. two. I want the smallest/lightest trailer feasible. I already have access to a larger car trailer as well as a heavy duty equipment trailer. I am looking for something primarily to haul a Side x Side and my 1946 CJ-2A (no comments ;D). I want to be able to pull it without having to use a big towing vehicle (Suburban or F350). My wifes car is a Volvo SUV with a V8. How much does a stock 66-77 with V8 and Hardtop weigh?

Last edited:

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
My dad's words from many years ago........ "you just don't put things of value on a single axle trailer and take it on the highway". lol :)

Around 3800lbs give or take depending on stock options of course. Your Volvo may pull it, any ideas of it's braking capabilities?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My dad's words from many years ago........ "you just don't put things of value on a single axle trailer and take it on the highway". lol :)

I will second that...one flat tire and things can get really exciting, and not in a good way. They make relatively light weight tandem axle car haulers that would be a much better option, especially if you intend to tow with something less than a 3/4 or 1-ton truck. Even if the trailer weighs more, the more weight it can carry on it's own, the better. Brakes should be considered mandatory on at least one trailer axle.

I had a neighbor with a CJ5 buy a heavy-duty single-axle trailer to pull behind his 1/2-ton truck for hunting season. He spent hours dinking around with the position of the Jeep on the trailer to try and find somewhere where it didn't upset the handling of his tow rig or exceed the tongue weight rating for his truck. He added air bag overloads to his truck and a load distributing hitch...still scared the crap out of him in the mountains. He ended up selling the trailer after a few months and replaced it with a proper tandem axle, car hauler type trailer, which he loved by comparison. It was load and go and his 1/2-ton handled the extra 1000# of trailer weight without issue.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't haul a Bronco on a single axle trailer. Also any trailer over 2000lbs needs to have brakes.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There in a super cool single axle I saw one time I think one of the vendors built.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is cool and light.

Attachments

• dual axle.jpg
    dual axle.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 127

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As okie said, the "stock" weights were in the 3750 to 3900 lb range if I remember.
One that's considered slightly modified these days could easily top 4500 lbs.
My own '71 with two full tanks of gas, tools and me in it weighs in at 4250.

Paul

OP
OP
bosshoff

bosshoff

Contributor

Around 3800lbs give or take depending on stock options of course. Your Volvo may pull it, any ideas of it's braking capabilities?

Smart man your dad.

cekautsky

Loc.
Alta Loma, CA
Just had mine on the scale today. 3980# full interior, hard top, no heavy weight mods, 1 full and one empty tank.

I pull my bronco all the time on a double axle trailer equip with four wheel brakes. Pulls nice and straight. better yet it stops straight under hard braking. Crosswinds and weird humps in the road have never caused my double axle to start fishtailing. I would never consider pulling it on a single axle. Yeah a single axle might work okay as long as everything goes right. But what happens when something/anything goes wrong and now you have this 6000# weight behind you pushing your SUV where ever it wants to go. I had a scary ride like that one time and that was all it took for me. That is just my opinion. In any case, be safe.
Sincerely,
Clint

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Well, I'm pretty sure I win the "piggish" heavyweight award... : ) weighed in at one truck scale, was sure it was inaccurate and went to another certified truck scale... still in shock!

extras:

-winch
-winch bumper
-skid plate in front protecting tranny cooler behind frt bumper
-beadlocks 17x9.5
-37" tires
-full 6pt cage
-rock skis...too heavy
-Cage long arms
-skid plate under t-case
-doubler (only 30#'s)
-4r70W
-351/418 (alum heads and alum EFI)
-York alum OBA
-custom 1/2 cab
-rear fold/tumble seat
-twin tool boxes from tailgate to frt of rear seat... full of spare axles, drivelines, ujoints, jack, tools, etc...these weigh alot (I just pulled them last night since 1998) haven't weighed them yet
-spare 37" tire w/beadlock
-custom rear bumper
-4pt mount anti-wrap bar
-23 gal tank 1/2 full
-high back bucket seats up front
-console w/stereo, etc
-metal box lined with sound deadener w/10" sub
-CB
-D44
-9"

That about covers the extra weight
5300#.... almost even split on weight, 100#'s more in rear (bat is in rear also)