• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Much does a stock Bronco Top Weigh?

erosinc

I am taking the top off of mine tomorrow. I have 6.5" of lift on 37's. Any recommendations of getting it off?

2 people or should I run to home depot?

TIA

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
200 pounds with the glass. Two people is tough. Three people is tough. Five is ideal. Two on each side and one inside lifting and guiding it over the wiper motor and roll bar.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
If you can get the back lift gait off it might make things easier, we have skids for my dads tractor that lifts it off pretty easy w/ the lift gate off...just a thought....but justino is right! theyre heavy!

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on what you doing with it once it's off. Top is bustanut heavy and it really depends on what you have for facilities, room to maneuver etc. once it's off. Don't go very far with it unless really prepared for the weight.

Hank

Lawndart

Loc.
Just did it for first time.
The rear post inserts require at least a 6 inch lift. I slid a couple 1 inch boards underneath and had 3 other people; one at each board extension.
You need 4 total.

edit: obligatory pic
28378192150_5b941c72b6_c_d.jpg

PS - don't get me started on the "bestop" bikini...

Last edited:

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
2 people or should I run to home depot?

Didn't know they removed tops;D

Two able bodied people can reasonably restle one. Your height will increases the effort and make sure you wear gloves.

romerdoug

Sponsor/Vendor
I'm not saying we are the smartest people in the world but my brother-in-law and I are able to lift the top off by ourselves. I have 35" tires and a 3.5" lift, it can definitely be done with two people but takes some planning.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
Yep 2 people can do it, three makes it much easier ! I also cut the hard top "guides" about 2" after I removed it the first time. That made it so much easier the next time when lifting it off.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After a lot of trial and error I have mine down to a one man operation and an overhead pulley and crank. It's tough being a loner.

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Must be nice to have friends. I usually put mine on and off by myself. I just climb into the truck and stand up with it on my back. Having a trailer I can walk up on that is close to tailgate level helps. Being dumb also helps.

But, to help clear everything and make lift off easier, I would try putting one person inside and have them stand up with it on their back, provided they work out or are strong. Once it clears all the hangers, slide some 4x4s, or other sizes of wood, under the edges to keep it held up while you now position everyone around it to get it off the truck.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I do everythign myself also.
I have a cheap $100 Tractor Supply co winch in my garage ceiling.. it's a couple hour job. hardest part is removing all the 1/2" nuts and bolts and dealing with the tailgate posts

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Always at least loosen the wiper motor from the frame. With it hanging back just slightly, it makes angling things much less of a hassle when trying to get the rear corner stakes out of their pocket.

Paul

SHX669

Bronco Guru
When I was in my mid 20s I used to take mine off and on by myself ; used a couple of tall saw horse type stands.
The last one we had three guys and I was thinking we needed four .
I screwed eye hooks in the ceiling joist and use 4 ratchet straps attached to 2x4s that go under the top - front and back.