• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how much steering wheel play

wesleydax

just got everything back together on the frontend and have driven it a few miles. I have noticed some play in the steering wheel. sitting in the seat and measuring it with a tape it will move 2" before the play is out. is this normal? i would think it should be a little tighter. The box is a delphi one purchused off ebay about 2 years ago, it was supposed to be rebuilt. there is no play anywhere else in the system. all bushings are new and tight. its for sure in the box. how do i get the play out?

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
that seems like a lot of play. The wheels on both of my trucks move well less than an inch side to side.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Did you buy a Borgeson rebuilt box? Mine has very little play in it.

Are you saying you have 2 inches side to side from center meaning 4 inches total?

I put my Borgeson box on and it was better then the old box but still had play or so I thought....After replacing the ball joints, tie rods, all bushings and adding plate to both sides of the frame, all that play went way and it's tight now. I have less than and inch side to side.....and it drives very very well now.....

Tim

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

it moves a total of two inches. if its to the right it will move two inch left before the pitman even starts to move. i have checked it really close. i checked the frame and its good. and everything else is new. ive spent quite a while looking and feeling and after the slack is out of the box everything else is tight. when driving its that slack that lets it drift and im having to catch it by going the other way. Im wondering if the box is the right one for what i need.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
There shoun't be that much play in the box. Sounds like you need to have it rebuilt or get a new one.

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

heres a link to one just like i have. not the same seller.

www.ebay.com/itm/66-77-Early-Ford-Bronco-Rockcrawler-Power-Steering-Box-/221191189005?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338005b20d&vxp=mtr[/url]

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There's a torsion bar (spring) inside the box. It provides feedback to the steering wheel. If the tires can't move you will still be able to turn the wheel slightly but there will be spring tension during that movement. If there is no spring tension something is wrong.

OP
OP
wesleydax

wesleydax

just got it back from lineup shop. everything is in good shape but the box. he said it only has about 1 thread left of adjustment. Sooooo what box would yal recommend.