• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to determine lift with no weight

Ahealey

Got a bronco currently with no engine. How can i determine the lift it has with no weight up front? I’ve read 7 in from axle tube but won’t engine make it sag a bit? It has rancho shocks and red springs up front that were recently replaced. Also had tubes come with it to replace upper shock mounts (wasn’t done when they swapped). The coils are 17 in in front but i read hard to know from just coils. The springs didn’t have a part number on them :/

Biggest thing is i want to order wheels and tires to roll it better when i go pick it up. I want 33s and am assuming it’s around a 2.5 lift from the height but no clue

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
IF the springs USED to be red, but were replaced.... what were they replaced with??? Doesn't really matter what color they used to be does it? So it has red coils or had rear coils?? What rear leaf springs do you have? Do they match the front? Who knows because you don't know what either are. Not trying to be hard on ya but you will have to wait for ALL parts to be installed in order to know exactly where your rig will sit.

You won't know the susp lift till you put all the original components back on IN their correct location.

Hot Rod guys mess up all the time when building a rig and ordering coil over springs. They try tossing a lot of the original parts on before they are done with the build and miss a few and put others "close" to where they are supposed to be and it throws their corner and total weights off. So they get to BUY new coils because they didn't do it right the first time.

Long story short. Borrow some wheels and tires so you can roll it around until it's all together so you can do it right.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
IF your goal is making it easier to roll around when you pick it up and as long as the rear is cut for fender flares get the 33s, they will fit. Probably better to borrow if you have that option. If it's a long term project better to get tire/wheels closer to getting it on the road.

Coil spring pics? They are worth a lot in determining what you have.

Good luck with the project.

Jim

OP
OP
A

Ahealey

IF your goal is making it easier to roll around when you pick it up and as long as the rear is cut for fender flares get the 33s, they will fit. Probably better to borrow if you have that option. If it's a long term project better to get tire/wheels closer to getting it on the road.

Coil spring pics? They are worth a lot in determining what you have.

Good luck with the project.

Jim
Ya rear is cut so sounds like i should be good. I’m just trying to make it easier to roll onto trailer as the tires are completely rotted. Thanks for the info!

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Hit up a local tire place/JY for some Ford stock steelies that are X by 15. 5 on 5.5 pattern. Then buy 4 rollers that hold air and match size wise.

OP
OP
A

Ahealey

Hit up a local tire place/JY for some Ford stock steelies that are X by 15. 5 on 5.5 pattern. Then buy 4 rollers that hold air and match size wise.
Ya I’ve thought of that too. Only one is fully rotted so might just have my buddy get a used one mounted.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ultimately don't worry about the suspension over much at this point. As long as you can fit the tire size you want now, you can fine-tune the height later at minimal extra cost.
If you're doing a restoration that's going to cost you easily $30k in new parts, another $200-$500 is actually kind of minimal. And on top of any new springs you purchase to fit your desired tires, you can re-sell the stuff you have now as long as it's in good shape.

It sounds like your springs are new-ish now, so selling them on later is not that hard of a deal and will recoup some of your added expenses to get taller springs if you need them.
Back to your other question about height, in the front stock height is considered to be approx. 7" between the top of the axle tube and the bottom of the frame rail. You can still measure how it sits now to see what you are at without the engine. It won't tell you how much lift you will have when it's at full weight, but it will tell you what you're sitting at right now.
If they are modern variable rate coils, you will probably be sitting taller than final height by a couple of inches. If they are old-school Rancho coils however, you might be sitting at close to the final ride height even empty! Maybe an inch or so?
They are 3" coils but are very stiff (they're made for full size Ford trucks) so may not have as much sag when weighted down.

But Jim had the best advice for sure. ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY YOUR FINAL TIRES YET!!!
Can't stress enough that life gets in the way of 95% of us when doing a long-term project. Only a few people can start and finish a vehicle restore in a year or less. Maybe you're one of those with that kind of focus and a family that leaves you alone in the shop. But if you're not you might be driving on outdated tires ten years from now when you finally get it road worthy!
Definitely something to think about.

Paul

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I borrowed & still have some of those for the times of my Shorty build when it had/has a frt end or rear end.

They work great! Get the heaviest duty ones you can so the casters will roll better when loaded. Makes a HUGE difference.