• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to determine the amount of lift on my Bronco?

Giddyup

Loc.
Rawlins
My 72 has a 4"body lift, and from what I guess, about that amount of suspension lift. I need to replace the rear leafs because they sag. How do I go about measuring the exact amount of lift so I get the correct leaf springs?

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
You need to measure the thickness of the blocks between the axel and the springs to see how much sup.lift you have...

ps leaf springs stiff or soft mostly effect ride quality...too stiff produce a harsh jolting ride.To soft and you get bouncy/wave...

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Oh yea welcome to the site and post up some pix when ya can....Vote to at the bottom of the page for "top4x4site" if you like.....:cool:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
On a stock Bronco the distance from the top of the front axle tube to the bottom of the frame is seven inches. Anything over seven is your amount of lift.

Dude seriously

Loc.
Everett
Measure the distance between the top of the front axle tube and the bottom of the frame, subtract 7.5", that equals the amount of suspension lift in the front.

OP
OP
G

Giddyup

Loc.
Rawlins
Okay great, from axle to frame measure 12.5", that would be 5 inches of suspension lift added to my 4" body lift giving me 9" of total lift. Any ideas for a good spring manufacturer, rear leaves are toast, especially drivers side. I will occasionally pull a little atv trailer, wich currently bottoms out on the stops....

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You have a five and a half inch suspension lift. Most of the vendors that advertise on this site will have lift kits of varying heights, all of which are quality springs.

Is your body lift made with home made blocks? 3" is generally the largest body lift kit that's mass produced.