• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to get more caster??

byrdman03cars

I have a 1970 bronco, just installed James duff 3.5" ultimate suspension package with drop down/adjustable radius arm brackets. I have 7 degree axle wedges, drop down pitman arm, drop down track bar bracket and adjustable track bar. The current readings on the front end are camber left 1.1 degrees, right .7, caster readings are .1 left and .1 on the right, and toe in is .20 left and .17 on the right. The bronco drives fairly well, but still feels super sensitive while driving. I was hoping to get to 4-6 degrees camber. Is there anything else I can to to reach this?
Thanks in advance for your help
Sam

bentendo

This is the first thing that everyone is going to say, so I might as well be the first:

Double check your c-bushings. If they're in backwards, that is the source of your extremely low caster.

If they are in correctly, I highly recommend you go to this thread I started earlier this year when I was having the EXACT same problems:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203580

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
Before you installed the C-bushings did you cut off the little do-hicky on the apex of the bushing??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The bushing/lift combo sound correct. These trucks were built with very little caster to begin with. With the 3½" lift and 7° bushings you are probably real close the maxing out the U-joint angle of the front driveshaft at the front axle. At this point remove some corrective bushing angle to help the U-joint angle, this will make caster much worse. then do a cut and turn of the outer "C"s on the axle tube. Anything else will be one problem chasing another.

ericbee

When I had this problem I installed drop radius brackets and that fixed my problem. It increased my caster by 4-6 degrees instantly. The only other thing I can recommend for you to do now is cut and turn of the outer "C"s on the axle tube.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Some long arms will help too.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
not my thread, but, what the hell are you talking about?

Installed bushings many times, I have no idea what he is talking about either.

As far as long arms or dropping the rear radius arm mounts they both accomplish the same thing. But you really need to watch the front driveshaft U-joint bushing angle as either will make the angle much worse.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
There's a couple other options to add the list of recommendations above:

You can install those eccentric ball-joint sleeves that can add +-1.5 degrees (minor amount).

Also you can modify your housing and rotate your knuckles which is the ultimate fix but very laborious...

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
not my thread, but, what the hell are you talking about?

When I installed my lift kit...I was supposed to cut off a littlle piece of extra material that is left over from the mold right at the apex of the bushing. It clearly says to do that in the instructions. I did not do that and the bushing did not seat correctly....we took apart...cut off the piece and it is fine now. Lift is from James Duff.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The bushing/lift combo sound correct. These trucks were built with very little caster to begin with. With the 3½" lift and 7° bushings you are probably real close the maxing out the U-joint angle of the front driveshaft at the front axle. At this point remove some corrective bushing angle to help the U-joint angle, this will make caster much worse. then do a cut and turn of the outer "C"s on the axle tube. Anything else will be one problem chasing another.

I bet if you flex it out, it's already there. You should check this out if you plan on using 4WD.