• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to remove the hard top?

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
Now that most of the snow is gone from around here, Can somebody give me a detailed list on the steps it takes to take to remove my hard top. I dont want to wreck anything. I figued you guys would have some pretty good tips and tricks!
Jody

Blackstar

did it once...won't ever do it again....not that hard to take off...but putting it back on and getting a good seal takes the patience of Ghandi.

not that hard to remove...loosen all bolts and remove...the only tricky thing i found was to fact that there are two posts in the rear pillars (both sides of the rear glass) if you take out the top two bolts the pillars stay in the base...if you remove that bottom two they come out with the top....dealers choice. The pillars are about 12 inches high when bolted to one side or the other so when you removed the top you must go 12 inches straight up then you can move the top to the side and off the chassis... just my $.02

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
This is why you lift the whole top with 2 dudes and have one on each side, just break it loose on both sides and then lift it together( both of you)

brewdude

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Groveland, CA
It is fairly straight forward just unbolt the windshield then unbolt the rails and unbolt the stakes at the end of the bed. Then break the seals. You will have to raise the back end about 6 to 8 inches to get the stakes out of the bed. Be sure to use two or more people. I have done it by myself a few times and it can be done but expect to scrape some paint.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
Agree with everythjing above. I had four guys and it went really smooth - If you have four buddies I would buy them all a beer - its hard to scratch the paint when there is a guy on each corner.

BC

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
I also found it useful to take 2 2X4's and after lifting the top enough to slide them under from side to side (left to right) screw the top into them. Then you have 2 nice handles on each side of the top and you can easily set it on saw horses after taking it off the bronco. Too the 2X4's keep the top from flexing too much...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
simple. 23 bolts, up 6 inches, then back. ;D

only problem you may run into is the 2 nuts just behind the driver's seat. i had to make a wrench about 2 feet long to reach the nuts. when i went back on, i used shoulder nuts. i know of a few guys who installed nutzerts.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
The only thing I can add to this don't forget the bolts under the wiper cover.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I also agree with everyone. I took mine off last summer for the first time, and created a way to do it by myself. Very simple if you have a garage or space to store the top from the ceiling.

Here's the list

4- Ratcheting tie downs
2- 2x4's
8- Eye bolts

Make sure the bolts in the ceiling bolted into the studs, I have an attic above and added a couple 2x4's across the studs.

Good luck!
Bronco Sport

Attachments

• 2004-6-200003.JPG
    2004-6-200003.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 2004-6-200004.JPG
    2004-6-200004.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 73

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't have the rear pillars in mine and don't know of any differences or problems without them. I just have a bolt in every hole and keep them tight.

69patriot76

Loc.
Centralia, WA
Smedley said:
Does anyone run the top without the two rear pillars? Any difference?

Thanks
Will

Yeah, I think about that sometimes and the engineers that came up with that idea. It makes sense... keep the top from shifting foward or backward upon any kind of impact. I just wonder how much force it would take slamming into something hard enough to shear those bolts off and have the top fly forward. I'm thinking that if you hit something that hard it wouldn't matter if the top flying forward took the top half of your body off with it, would it? Just a thought... %)

Dan