• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to remove the ignition switch without a key?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I own the car, have the title, and even have a paper clip. But I don't have the key.
I'm repainting it, so I need to remove the ignition switch.
What do I do?

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I've always kept old keys (my last name is Keyes). One out of 5 or 6 work with a little giggling. Ford didn't have too many patterns. Any lock smith likely has something similar.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drill it out just don't go too far. I have done it many times.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
disconnect the battery first.
For some reason I believe the key code is on the passengers side door lock but I cant verify as I am getting older and loosing my marbles. I haven run doors in over 30 years.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
if the numbers are not there take the door lock to the lock smith. assuming you have origional locks. much cheaper than a site service call.

helo-mech

Before you drill try small jeweler type screwdrivers. You may have to insert a few at various lengths or even insert some .040 safetywire as well. As you insert keep a little bit of turn pressure. Hopefully it is worn enough to engage the tumbler.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Maybe a you tube video on picking a lock. at least Broncos used a single sided key. ford cars used a double sided key.

OP
OP
blubuckaroo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Thanks for the responses.
This as many other of my posts are for my '62 Ranchero project. I'm getting it ready for paint.
So many things on these cars are similar. I just disassembled the doors. The parts are different, but wind wings, window mechanisms, and door latches install the same.

papy

I've always kept old keys (my last name is Keyes). One out of 5 or 6 work with a little giggling. Ford didn't have too many patterns. Any lock smith likely has something similar.

i just got a key cut for my 67. i went to a locksmith (local old school locksmith here in town) and he opened up his book and cut me a few keys to try, went home and one worked perfectly. this way you can retain your OE cylinder...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have had a lock smith pull up the old books, take the code and use that to cut a blank.
The key (bad pun) is to find an old school lock smith that still has the old books and can cut from codes. My guy was so old that he had brand new Ford single sided key blanks and not the aftermarket ones.

Sadly I moved and last time I drove by the shop was closed.