• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to tie krawlers edge cage into frame

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I’m looking to buy the krawlers edge roll cage since it does not cause any obstructions to window cranks or glove box, pedals or anything. My question is, how do I tie this into the frame? I have 0 idea how to tie any roll cage into the frame, and unfortunately I have 0 access to ways of fabrication. I have a friend who can weld for me, but that is about where it stops. I have plenty of drills and other toools, just nothing to bend any tubing. Are here any kits that’s I am not finding? And instructions? Thank you!!

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
If you're getting it from KE, call them and ask??? Thomas should be able to offer a solution. Good luck!!! I'm going to get one of those soon!!!;D;D;D

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
If you're getting it from KE, call them and ask??? Thomas should be able to offer a solution. Good luck!!! I'm going to get one of those soon!!!;D;D;D

Going to call him next week, but according to their website, they will only offer plates. I have 0 idea how to tie it in. Looking for tutorials on how.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I think it would be easy to come up with some tie ins if you have a friend that can weld. I saw this thread , it will give you some ideas. I think the orange one on the second page is the best idea. It will keep the vibrations from transferring to the body. Good luck with your cage! Here is a link:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254929

Galt72

Contributor
Hers's shots of my hoop tie in's. They were purchased on line quite some time ago and I've forgotten from what vendors.

DSCF0014.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

OP
OP
M

mduenas

Loc.
Los Angeles
I think it would be easy to come up with some tie ins if you have a friend that can weld. I saw this thread , it will give you some ideas. I think the orange one on the second page is the best idea. It will keep the vibrations from transferring to the body. Good luck with your cage! Here is a link:

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254929

The orange one looks great, looks like a few tabs are welded on and the arms placed into them. Could be simple enough.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Galt72 has the same basic idea on his, a lot beefier for sure. There are the same bushings mounted to the tabs on top for vibration. Very slick mounts for sure!

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I plan on getting one of their cages in the future and here's my plan:

(unfortunately to do a B pillar tie-in I'll have to ditch the aux tank)

Call Krawlers Edge and ask/buy for a pair (or 4 however many tie-ins you're going to use) of their footplates. That will assure you that the bolt pattern lines up and such.

Here are two kits: Simple legs and A Hoop style for the tie-ins.

Since both kits are YOU cut to length, you could add an isolation/sleeved bushing at the rear mounted KE footplate or the frame for the none-hoop type.

Effectively, you don't need a kit as most of these parts are pretty easily sourced and/or self explanatory.

1. Get the KE plates, some strong tubing, sleeved bushing, and some flat plate (the same thickness as your footplates or slightly thicker).
2. Install the KE footplates (for a place holder)
3. Align flat plate stock on frame and C-channel or full box.
4. Weld on bushing tabs and install bushing (for placeholder)
5. Saddle cut your tubing and measure edge center of bushing to center of plate
6. Find the length (and angle) needed to finish cut pipe.
7. Test fit everything
8. Remove bushing and weld on tubing
9. Reinstall busing and weld tubing to KE foot.
10. Remove tie-in and clean and paint/cover whatever
11. Reinstall and Done.

diggs00

I plan on getting one of their cages in the future and here's my plan:

(unfortunately to do a B pillar tie-in I'll have to ditch the aux tank)

Call Krawlers Edge and ask/buy for a pair (or 4 however many tie-ins you're going to use) of their footplates. That will assure you that the bolt pattern lines up and such.

Here are two kits: Simple legs and A Hoop style for the tie-ins.

Since both kits are YOU cut to length, you could add an isolation/sleeved bushing at the rear mounted KE footplate or the frame for the none-hoop type.

Effectively, you don't need a kit as most of these parts are pretty easily sourced and/or self explanatory.

1. Get the KE plates, some strong tubing, sleeved bushing, and some flat plate (the same thickness as your footplates or slightly thicker).
2. Install the KE footplates (for a place holder)
3. Align flat plate stock on frame and C-channel or full box.
4. Weld on bushing tabs and install bushing (for placeholder)
5. Saddle cut your tubing and measure edge center of bushing to center of plate
6. Find the length (and angle) needed to finish cut pipe.
7. Test fit everything
8. Remove bushing and weld on tubing
9. Reinstall busing and weld tubing to KE foot.
10. Remove tie-in and clean and paint/cover whatever
11. Reinstall and Done.

JaxLax,

Is this similar to what you are explaining? Sorry man I am a visual learner.
https://genright.com/products/universal-jeep-cage-to-frame-tie-in-kit.html

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
JaxLax,

Is this similar to what you are explaining? Sorry man I am a visual learner.
https://genright.com/products/universal-jeep-cage-to-frame-tie-in-kit.html

Yup.
Just make sure that you have enough tube length to span the distance from frame to cage mount. Since that's a Jeep specific kit, I have no idea whether you'll have enough.

If you do go for a kit, make sure to tell them if you plan on using a body lift or other mod that will increase/change the length from standard. The two I linked don't have an isolation bushing, but the one you did does.

Honestly, I didn't use one on either of my previous ones and can't think of an issue it caused (vibration or body flex).