• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How worn is this transmission?

68Sport

Opened up a T-18 today that I'm interested in buying. This is the first time I've looked inside a tranny, but this one appears to be worn excessively (to my untrained eye).

My main concern are the gears with the rounded teeth. I assume those would need to be replaced in order for it to shift properly. The pics will show the big gear on the top shaft is pretty worn. The reverse gear looks the same way.

What do you guys think? Is this just normal wear?

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
did you get a look at the oil that came out? See any metal bits? Looks like someone was like "If you can't find it, Grind It". Is that first, or reverse? I'm not familiar with the t-18, but looks just like the T-14 I just rebuilt... it that is reverse gear, I would give it a shot , but I'd replace if yer gonna keep it.
Check out:
www.rigidsteel.com
for rebuilt kits and individual gears. I had an odd tooth 2nd in the t-14 and they had it. Truely helpful folks there too...

B

bert

That gear is used for 1st and reverse. Both are not synchronized, that is why they are rounded. That one definatly looks worn but will probably work just fine. The synchro rings and sliders are more important. From what little I can see in the photo they appear to be in fairly good shape. A bearing and synchro kit would be the way to go. I would bet 1st gear is a little pricey.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
When the 1st gear slider has tooth damage like that, it's usually caused by the reverse lockout detent spring in the top cover being broken. The detent assembly is a button in the reverse gate that is designed to keep you from accidently going into reverse while shifting from second to third. When the spring breaks there is no more tension on the detent and the button can't do it's job. When this happens it is very difficult to make a 2-3 shift without grinding reverse. At any rate, if you decide to run this box, it would be a good idea to make certain the detent button is working right to prevent furthrer damage to the gear teeth. There are 2 springs that need to be checked. The smog guy still manages to grind mine on the dyno even though it's working right. My truck definately knows it's master. I prolly have a pile of chips stuck to my sump magnet. %) :mad: :eek: I think my T-18 1st gear teeth are chipped worse than what's in your picture and it still works fine.

Like bert says that gear is used in Rev and 1st.

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Looks typical used for me bt that gear should be replaced this is not a box I would just slap in but would rebuild first. price should reflect wear. the other gear teeth and what I can see of the synchros look ok but you'd replace the syncros during the referbuish. Find out what a new gear would cost before jumping in.

OP
OP

68Sport

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll probably give it a shot.

I'd planned on rebuilding before installing it, but I hadn't planned on replacing any gears. I think I'll go ahead and replace it and be done with it.

Thanks for the link supermottl.