• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hubby in Iraq- want to fix up the Bronco while he's away would appreciate any advice

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Raymond
Pimp my ride?? Monster Garage?? I should say we have more class than that. MAYBE Overhauling but CF doesn't hold a candle to some of our guys.
A new alternator good idea.
Mellisa
electric wiper setup leaves next week, I got it all, cover, switchs wiring visors the whole enchilada.
TOFIC

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
RRRAAAYYY2 said:
That leaves me with nothing to do, oh wait, I guess I can do up an alternator now. I know you don't need it, but what the h-e-double hockey sticks, 160amp 3G won't hurt anything. That is if it is ok with BCM69 (thats who did the motor right?) I don't want to offend anyone. (And I know I might be if the roles were reversed)
I am also working on:
Air cleaner
Headers
Dual exhaust
Ignition upgrade?
and ....... (insert suggestions here, including mind my own business if need be, :) )

;D Yr really a hard guy to rein in when you have the bit in yr teeth, Ray. ;D Would I be 'offended' by the substitution of a 3G for the stock alternator?. Heck no. It's not my call anyway. The motor has a Unilite dizzy w/ Accel coil.
Exhaust, clutch, radiator, air cleaner..all that kind of stuff is something I've no idea what is happening with, so hopefully the guys doing the heavy lifting on assembly will chime in.

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
RRRAAAYYY2 said:
Good news, WAI Canada (Division of WAI US) is donating the aftermarket starter for the project. I should recieve it tomorrow or Monday. That leaves me with nothing to do, oh wait, I guess I can do up an alternator now. I know you don't need it, but what the h-e-double hockey sticks, 160amp 3G won't hurt anything. That is if it is ok with BCM69 (thats who did the motor right?) I don't want to offend anyone. (And I know I might be if the roles were reversed)
I am also working on:
Air cleaner
Headers
Dual exhaust
Ignition upgrade?
and ....... (insert suggestions here, including mind my own business if need be, :) )

Here is me thinking out loud again:
If you are getting more media coverage, we should try and get some prettier up things donated. Only because it will get compared to pimp my ride and monster garage etc. Some air brushing would be sweet too, lots of awesome mural ideas. Just some thoughts.

:eek: WOW! That is awesome! HUGE THANKS to WAI Canada (Division of WAI US) for donating the aftermarket starter for the project. Wow Ray! I wish everyone was as ambitious as you are! :eek:

I am really just hoping to get it finished by the time Hubby returns home. I want him to be able to drive it as soon as he sees it. I know he won't be able to wait! I can't believe that he will be home in a month. Less than that really. From tenative dates he has given me, he should be home and see this surprise sometime between the 11th and the 16th of January. Not much time left. Unfortunately, there are still a few obstacles we have to get taken care of. The Disc Brake set up, the windshield and seal, and a top and seals that go with it. I am sure there are numerous little things that will be needed when the rebuild begins. I am not giving up! As 4wheelnar said, "With a lot of work from everyone and a few miracles and prayers along the way. This project is going to be a success!!!"

Thank you all so much for your help and support! This is truly an amazing gift. ;D

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Wow, he is going to be home real soon. This kind of unfair pressure to be putting on the guys putting this together. Maybe a little delay tatic is needed. Not an advocate of ever lieing. But if he arrives home early, you could have been in a little rear ender, not your fault of course. You didn't tell him because you didn't want him to worry. The guy that hit you could have a cousin with a body shop in the next state, and that is where it is getting the rear quarter straighten out. Too far away to just check on, not enough damage to worry about.

Just got off the phone. One of my local racers has an 11" clutch/pressure plate setup. It has only one pass on it. It is a Bully, which is a clone of a CenterForce. It actually even uses Center Force weights. Yours for the asking if it will work.

As for the radiator, give the specs for it, I have a customer (not in a long time) that does awesome work. Might stop in and see him next week.

Wish I had clued into this earlier.

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
Hopefully John and the guys will chime in here and let you know what will work. I appreciate you al for all you are doing! I can not thank you enough. ;D

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Just recieved the aftermarket starter from WAI. I have no worries about it lasting now, as it actually is an OE Denso they sent. Merry Christmas. ;D As for thanking me, enough said, and you are very welcome. I love things like this, and actually would like to thank-you for giving me the opportunity to be involved.

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
RRRAAAYYY2 said:
Just recieved the aftermarket starter from WAI. I have no worries about it lasting now, as it actually is an OE Denso they sent. Merry Christmas. ;D As for thanking me, enough said, and you are very welcome. I love things like this, and actually would like to thank-you for giving me the opportunity to be involved.

That is fantastic! Thanks again so much for all your help! ;D

OP
OP
C

CPT_D_1969

Loc.
Yongsan, Korea
Alright guys, I just received this message from Patty at Tom's Bronco Parts.

Hi Melissa, Tom has left for vacation for 2 weeks but I did get a hold
of him to see what we could do. He said the best we could do would be
half price for the items you are wanting. so the disc kit would be
394.00 + 35 shipping and the standard 6 point would be 188.00 + 59.00
shipping. so total would be 676.00 instead of 1351.00 hope this helps.
let us know if you want to do this. thanks Toms Bronco Parts

I asked if we could upgrade to an 8 point cage with the kids in the back I think I would feel better having that. Just wanted to keep you guys up to date with what is going on with the OBB. Any ideas on how to raise some funds to help cover this? :)

4wheelnar

Loc.
Benton
CPT_D_1969 said:
Alright guys, I just received this message from Patty at Tom's Bronco Parts.

Hi Melissa, Tom has left for vacation for 2 weeks but I did get a hold
of him to see what we could do. He said the best we could do would be
half price for the items you are wanting. so the disc kit would be
394.00 + 35 shipping and the standard 6 point would be 188.00 + 59.00
shipping. so total would be 676.00 instead of 1351.00 hope this helps.
let us know if you want to do this. thanks Toms Bronco Parts

I asked if we could upgrade to an 8 point cage with the kids in the back I think I would feel better having that. Just wanted to keep you guys up to date with what is going on with the OBB. Any ideas on how to raise some funds to help cover this? :)

What about the ebay auction on some of the donated items mentioned?? I have not heard much response from your last post that you made about it?? Maybe we could earn a few funds from that? We need to get on this ASAP though. We are running too close on the time frame that John will need all of the parts and put this Horse back together. It is hard to believe time has moved so quickly on this ;D ;D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hold the phone on spending that much coin on the disk upgrade. I'm trying to tap the full-size community for a set of 78/79 F-150/Bronco outers..

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
LOL!..that was too easy. I posted the request and have three complete sets already.

4wheelnar

Loc.
Benton
bmc69 said:
LOL!..that was too easy. I posted the request and have three complete sets already.

That is too awesome!!! Thank you so much !!! The OBB will now be able to Stop once we have it road ready! :eek: :eek: :eek:

4wheelnar

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
We have a new LUK clutch kit from Wildhorses. The plan is to reuse the original exhaust manifolds for simplicity sakes. Certainly would not turn down a new radiator though we have both a standard and automatic stock version that I think are up to the task. Open to anything on the air cleaner. We have been given new steering from Stonecrusher in the length that works with stock drum or the chevy conversion. I felt this was the best option because we have drum and the chevy conversion could be added later.

Few new pictures in the photobucket.

4wheelnar

Loc.
Benton
Texmex said:
U didn't miss it, I still have the hard top available. I have had several e-mails for it, but would rather see it go toward a cause. Let me know if you or someone else could check it out and possibly take it. I will try to post a few pics.

E-mail: masterwillis@hotmail.com

I am so glad that we did not miss the hard top!! Skiddy has offered to drive to Texas and pick up the hard top and deliver it here to Arkanas.. That is great news. Can you please contact Melissa and let her know what days it would available for pick up. Again thank you so much! You don't know what this means to this project! ;D ;D

4wheelnar

4wheelnar

Loc.
Benton
yellowrouge said:
We have a new LUK clutch kit from Wildhorses. The plan is to reuse the original exhaust manifolds for simplicity sakes. Certainly would not turn down a new radiator though we have both a standard and automatic stock version that I think are up to the task. Open to anything on the air cleaner. We have been given new steering from Stonecrusher in the length that works with stock drum or the chevy conversion. I felt this was the best option because we have drum and the chevy conversion could be added later.

Few new pictures in the photobucket.

John, so does this means that the brakes that BMC69 got three complete sets of from the the Full Ford will not work with the Stonecrusher setup??

What are our options here? Does Stonecrusher have a setup that would work with the Ford Brakes??

Or should we be trying to locate Chevy conversion on the brakes? What is going to be the best way to go here?

4Wheelnar

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Talking with Terry from Stonecrusher he told me the lengths we have will fit the stock drums we have and the chevy conversion because they use the same knuckle. With time a concern I went with this way to give us at least 2 options. I don't know what all is invloved in the F150 conversion.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yellowrouge said:
Talking with Terry from Stonecrusher he told me the lengths we have will fit the stock drums we have and the chevy conversion because they use the same knuckle. With time a concern I went with this way to give us at least 2 options. I don't know what all is invloved in the F150 conversion.

I've done the F-150 conversion many times and there is nothing to it. Everything fits as far as axle shafts and such..all you do is swap everything out at the ball joints and outward and yr done. There is a slight length difference for the tie rod but I know it was easliy within the adjustment range of the stock setup.

Let me know what to do...

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
bmc69 said:
I've done the F-150 conversion many times and there is nothing to it. Everything fits as far as axle shafts and such..all you do is swap everything out at the ball joints and outward and yr done. There is a slight length difference for the tie rod but I know it was easliy within the adjustment range of the stock setup.

Let me know what to do...

The difference is my main concern. Original steering is of course worn out, and the Stoncrusher replacement length we have may not work with the knuckles. Certainly do not want to discourage the donation. On the other hand if there is anyone I don't want to go through the time and effort to get us something we may not be able to use it's you. You've done so much and this project would not be near where it is with out you. Let me check out the 44 when it gets here and take some measurements and I'll give you an answer soon.

Thanks,
John

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
I have the spindles and I think the backing plates you need here for the Chevy conversion. I think I have rotors , but no hubs.
Pretty sure I don't have calipers either.
Maybe I can get a good deal on the Ford stuff ;) which is really what I wanted to run, so if you want the Chevy stuff I have it is yours.
Let me know and I will send it out.
Chris
:cool: