• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost help needed

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
howdy- I just picked up a Astro hydroboost unit from the 'auto recycler's' yard, not a bad deal for $35. Now the questions of how to hook it up haunt me. I am new to the concept- I understand that the unit runs off of the power steering pump. How do you route the hoses? Do they go from the pump to the steering box and then the hydroboost? Can I put a T in my pump return until I need a new unit, and then upgrade to a dual return? I am eager to get this system working- any help would be greatly appreciated!

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Here's a diagram. I forgot who posted it originally (for proper credit)
Try not to use a T. It can cause too much backpressure.

Attachments

• Steeringsys.gif
    Steeringsys.gif
    32.8 KB · Views: 232

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
For a Asto unit, the best advice I can give is go to www.speedwaymotors.com and buy these adaptors:
AN6 to 5/8" adaptor #617-4802
AN6 to 11/16" adaptor #617-4805
AN6 to 16mm adaptor #617-4806
AN6 to 18mm adaptor #6174808
This will allow you to use standard AN hoses fron the metric hydroboost to the Ford steering box. It will save you the headache of custom hoses that couldn't be replaced easily.
The rest can be found on the many posts and tech articles.
Edge

OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
yup- that is just the kind of advice I was looking for- thanks for your help. The great thing about this forum is there is so much information available- the bad thing about this forum is that there is so much information to wade through! Thanks for the quick help!

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
A few suggestions if I may.

Watch your brake rod under the dashboard. Some Astro units have the correct length rod, some have ones that are too long. Adjust this until the pedal has to move very little to start engaging the brakes.

Now is the time for the wide brake pedal. Grab one from any seventies big car and install it. Not rocket science and looks real cool.

I disagree with the cooler, never had a need for one. A Saginaw pump has a big enough resovoir to do the deed quite comfortably. Always use a dual return pump. the TEE system will work but can cause headaches. My first system was teed and worked well but I changed it to dual return to avoid "difficulties"

Make sure you brake system is in good shape! First time you land on this system you will find out real quick if anything is weak ( and kiss the windshield).

My hydroboost article in the tech section will give you some good tips on installing this, might want to read it.

TOFIC

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Did you get the angled bracket or straight bracket?

Also did you get the hoses that came with the unit?

If you got the saginaw pump (you'll need the buy the bracket or build one like mine) and all this there is no need to get the adaptors, Just use the stock hoses that came with the unit and cut the bubble flare end off the tubing at the end of the hose where it would connect to the Ford PS box. Remove the existing adaptor. Do the same to the Ford hose which you will no longer use and save that adaptor. With the money you saved go out and buy a double flaring tool (about $18. at Sears) and install the Ford adaptor to the tube end of the astro hose and do the double flare to the end of it. Now straigthen out the tubes at the end of the hoses and bend them to your liking so that they fit on you set-up.

Getting the brake set-up angled like this is another process.

Attachments

• DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC00055.JPG
    DSC00055.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 101

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
ken75ranger said:
Mad, Is that the remote pump from the astro. If it is post up a better pic please.
Thanks,
No, it's a pump that came out of a trans am or firebird along with its bracket and a v-groove pulley. I cut and modified the bracket to fit on a 351W and also welded in a second return port.

I also got a remote reservoir saginaw pump and Hydroboost with long hoses out of a fullsize GM van from a local yard 2 weeks ago.

Attachments

• DSC00103.JPG
    DSC00103.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00102.JPG
    DSC00102.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC00104.JPG
    DSC00104.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00023sm.jpg
    DSC00023sm.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00017sm.jpg
    DSC00017sm.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC00009sm.jpg
    DSC00009sm.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00008sm.jpg
    DSC00008sm.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00007sm.jpg
    DSC00007sm.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 53

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
walker949 said:
A few suggestions if I may.

Watch your brake rod under the dashboard. Some Astro units have the correct length rod, some have ones that are too long. Adjust this until the pedal has to move very little to start engaging the brakes.

Now is the time for the wide brake pedal. Grab one from any seventies big car and install it. Not rocket science and looks real cool.

I disagree with the cooler, never had a need for one. A Saginaw pump has a big enough resovoir to do the deed quite comfortably. Always use a dual return pump. the TEE system will work but can cause headaches. My first system was teed and worked well but I changed it to dual return to avoid "difficulties"

Make sure you brake system is in good shape! First time you land on this system you will find out real quick if anything is weak ( and kiss the windshield).

My hydroboost article in the tech section will give you some good tips on installing this, might want to read it.

TOFIC
I too just got my hydroboost unit (today in fact) and was looking at your write up (didn't read thoroughly as I have A.D.D. and couldn't sit still that long ;) ). The unit you used was inverted compared to the one I got. Mine doesn't have the offset mounting bracket, so could I just mount mine upside down? Or is this a bad idea?

OP
OP
BFPD630

BFPD630

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I did some searching with the guy at Napa and found that a '78 Granada was available with a 351W and hydroboost. I ordered the Saginaw pump for that application for a mere $67, with a $4.44 core charge. We figure that it will fit the stock PS pump bracket. Any thoughts?

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
You will still need a custom bracket from the water pump to the pivot bolt. I believe all 351W's came with drivers side inlet pumps. The EB pump is a pass. side inlet. They use different brackets. I believe most of the vendors sell the correct bracket for around $30.

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Hydroboost question

Sorry for the slow reply, I am one of the poor canadians that got flooded out last week.

Here some pics for you, some inverted and installed with the 302
some installed with the 351 with the wide brake pedal.
TOFIC

Attachments

• Booster bolted on.JPG
    Booster bolted on.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Hydroboost-in.JPG
    Hydroboost-in.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Hydroboost-in-far-shot.JPG
    Hydroboost-in-far-shot.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Brake-gas-in-temp.JPG
    Brake-gas-in-temp.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 50

TOFIC

Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
BFPD630 said:
hey TOFIC- any experience with the brackets? I will have a pump from a Granada with a 351W, will a stock EB bracket work?
Your question is really loaded but here goes.
If you have a 302, answer is no.
If you have a 351, the answer is maybe.
If you have the brackets from the Granada, they will bolt up to the bronco motor (302 or 351) and you will only have to get a proper length v belt for it.
Suggest you use the the Granada mount, the mount holes in the bronco are so close to the Granadas I would be surprised if it was not a straight bolt on.

TOFIC

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
I'll have to get some pics of my bracket that I put together. I took my bracket from a ford van. Mid 80's as I recall. All I had to do to make it work was use a spacer to place it the correct distance out so that it would line up with my pullys and weld a new nut on the bottom of the bracket. By welding the nut on the bottom, I was able to use my stock adjuster bracket. It has held up great for a few years now and works perfect. the clearance is a little tight at the bottom because the pully runs pretty close to my steering box hoses but if I was to get a belt that was slightly smaller the clearance issue would go away. I think I have about $10 into my bracket.