• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost issues

rtreads

Loc.
I have had my hydroboost installed for 3 years now. It has always worked great! ...until today.

So I tried to drive it today and the breaks are really soft and spongy. ...both with the motor off and running. When you press the brakes all the way with it running, it's much harder than normal to turn the steering wheel. There sre no leaks and the powersteering fluid is full. I am running the explorer serp front dress.

I have not driven it yet... I don't want to back out of the garage and into the neighbors hours!

So where do you think the problem lies? I think maybe a master cylinder??

Any help is appreciated!

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
The master cyl would not have anything to do with the ps system losing power- I think ps pump. The only way to know for sure is a psi test. what ps pump is it, ford/ sag ?

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
If its a sag pump I have found that most of the time it is a clogged flow control valve just behind the pressure union. Pull it out and clean the screen and ur good to go.

OP
OP
rtreads

rtreads

Loc.
It is an explorer pump. The pump turnes tires just fine when not on the brakes hard. If its the pump, why do the brakes feel soft when the motor isn't running? With hydro, you should have manual brakes when the motor is not running. ...mine are really soft when compared to 2 weeks ago when I drove it last.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
The brakes feel soft because the hydro is not assisting them when the motor is off. These are two different systems that share a power source. A bad master should have nothing to do with the ps pressure. Hydros are known for there poor braking if the motor dies. Just like u would figure u should have manual steering if the ps dies-not really.

Your looking at a bad pump IMHO but, check the master is it low on fluid? If it is check the drums & disks for blown calipers/slaves. If u are having ps related issues its going to be in the pump/box, not the master cyl.