• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hydroboost issues

latrucker

Contributor
Hoping someone can lead me into the right direction. I replaced my hydroboost bracket from angled to staight offset. Once I put it back together and bleed the HB and the master cylinder i have spongy pedal. So much so that it wont even depress the brake light switch to turn the brake lights on. Yet it stops fine. Obviously i have air trapped somewhere just dont know where. Can the hydroboost make a pedal feel mushy and lite or would it have to be the mastercylinder. Bled the brakes 3 times but nothing changes and the steering doesnt whine so i guessing it doesnt have air on the hydroboost side. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

catfan

Contributor
Hoping someone can lead me into the right direction. I replaced my hydroboost bracket from angled to staight offset. Once I put it back together and bleed the HB and the master cylinder i have spongy pedal. So much so that it wont even depress the brake light switch to turn the brake lights on. Yet it stops fine. Obviously i have air trapped somewhere just dont know where. Can the hydroboost make a pedal feel mushy and lite or would it have to be the mastercylinder. Bled the brakes 3 times but nothing changes and the steering doesnt whine so i guessing it doesnt have air on the hydroboost side. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The brake light is a different issue, do you have my inline bracket from Ebay?

bchesley

Do you have the little plastic washer that goes on the pedal with the brake light switch? If you don't have the washer in the right spot it will not depress the switch correctly. The proper location for the washer in between the switch against the rod that pushes your HB. Hope that makes sense. I can take a photo if not.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
catfan its actually you bracket from ebay. Got it all mounted up, came out great. Problem I am having is the pedal is so lite that it doesnt have enough pressure to compress the spring on the brake light switch. I can squeeze it with my hand and it lights up. Im thinking air in the MC but i have bled it 3 times and nothing changed.

Attachments

• 20210504_065652.jpg
    20210504_065652.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210504_065725.jpg
    20210504_065725.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Do you have the little plastic washer that goes on the pedal with the brake light switch? If you don't have the washer in the right spot it will not depress the switch correctly. The proper location for the washer in between the switch against the rod that pushes your HB. Hope that makes sense. I can take a photo if not.
Photo would be great if its not too much trouble. Thanks

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What size bore is your MC? I tried a 1" bore master and it felt exactly as you described. Went to a 1 1/8" bore and problem solved.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
What size bore is your MC? I tried a 1" bore master and it felt exactly as you described. Went to a 1 1/8" bore and problem solved.
Mine is the 1" bore, its a 77 corvette MC. It worked fine on the other bracket before switching over so I assume it has to be air somewhere.

catfan

Contributor
catfan its actually you bracket from ebay. Got it all mounted up, came out great. Problem I am having is the pedal is so lite that it doesnt have enough pressure to compress the spring on the brake light switch. I can squeeze it with my hand and it lights up. Im thinking air in the MC but i have bled it 3 times and nothing changed.
Sometimes I have the push rod too thin and the lights won't work. I always send a new push rod if that happens.

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Sometimes I have the push rod too thin and the lights won't work. I always send a new push rod if that happens.
Looks like that is the issue that I'm having. Not enough material on the end of the pushrod where it contacts the switch.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
That is my favorite hydroboost bracket. Following to see how you fix the brake light issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
That is my favorite hydroboost bracket. Following to see how you fix the brake light issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Works great, with a 351W and tall heads you can't get the drivers side valve cover off with the angled bracket. The offset bracket solved that problem. It's a nice piece for sure.

Digger556

Do you have a picture of the linkage?

I saw one of those in person and the linkage gave the pedal a different motion ratio and made it feel light.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's a picture of my linkage. If it changes the motion ratio, its negligible. My pedal does not feel light and squishy, but I do run a 1.125" bore master.

Attachments

• Bracket Linkage.jpg
    Bracket Linkage.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Here's a picture of my linkage. If it changes the motion ratio, its negligible. My pedal does not feel light and squishy, but I do run a 1.125" bore master.
I don't think my problem has anything to do with the linkage. If I mash the brakes in gravel only the front will lock up. Pretty sure I have air in the rear somewheres. Looks like brake lights are a manufacturing defect in the pushrod.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Mine is the 1" bore, its a 77 corvette MC. It worked fine on the other bracket before switching over so I assume it has to be air somewhere.

The 77 Corvette master should be 1 1/8" bore.

Todd Z.

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, in case you didn't already know, with these Corvette masters, the forward facing reservoir is for the front brakes, and the rear reservoir for the rear brakes.

Attachments

• Corvette master2.jpg
    Corvette master2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
latrucker

latrucker

Contributor
Also, in case you didn't already know, with these Corvette masters, the forward facing reservoir is for the front brakes, and the rear reservoir for the rear brakes.
That's the way mine is plumbed. The proportioning valve goes on the rear, correct? By the looks of it I have everything correctly installed. When I get time I'm going to bleed the brakes again and the HB, have a feeling I have air trapped somewhere. On gravel if I lock up the brakes only the front locks up. Should all 4 wheels be locking?

Last edited: