• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost lines

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
I have a hydroboost unit out of a 79 lincoln mark five. I replaced the unit with a rebuilt one fron autozone. For the pressure lines into and out of the boost unit, there does not seem to be any flared fittings in the unit to hook up to. I checked an online auto parts catalog and saw some type of o-ring end fitting. Is this correct? I have never seen o-rings on a high pressure setup like this. Do I need to exchange the unit for something with the flared fittings? What is the best option for hooking this up?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I found the same thing when I got a rebuilt unit for my 75 Lincoln hydroboost unit, but it also came with a pair of brass fittings to adapt the ports 'back' to inverted flare like the original unit was. No idea where you would find those separately though...

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
CRZA1 said:
I have a hydroboost unit out of a 79 lincoln mark five. I replaced the unit with a rebuilt one fron autozone. For the pressure lines into and out of the boost unit, there does not seem to be any flared fittings in the unit to hook up to. I checked an online auto parts catalog and saw some type of o-ring end fitting. Is this correct? I have never seen o-rings on a high pressure setup like this. Do I need to exchange the unit for something with the flared fittings? What is the best option for hooking this up?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
The parts guys gave you the wrong Hydroboost unit. They gave you one with the new bubble flare on it instead of the inverted flare that you were expecting. Take it back and get the adapters given to you or get the correct hydroboost unit. These should be supplied to you at no cost. If they charge you find a new parts store.
TOFIC

heylouie00

My lincoln Hydroboost had the same type of o-ring fittings...SAE threads, but with the O-rings instead of flared fittings.

I looked all over for adapters and couldn't find any. I confirmed what I had from a Lincoln in the junkyard and it had the same o-ring fitting with SAE threads. Anyway. I think if you keep it you need to get the Lincoln lines & have them modified or what I did was modify a flare to AN adapter to match the o-ring end.

I took one of these speedway motors adapters & modified the end to accept the o-ring side from my lines & brazed them together to get a lincoln o-ring to AN adapter

Took this one...fitting

and modified it to look like this one...fitting (This one is the metric one though)

OP
OP
C

CRZA1

Loc.
Albuquerque
I took the booster to the hydraulic line shop and was told the fittings were metric o-ring fittings and they had an adapter, but were out of stock. I asked the autoparts guy I bought it from about the problem and he said he would reimburse me for the fittings. Why would they be metric? Is this right?

heylouie00

I doubt it is a metric fitting...they are probably confusing it with the newer type metric o-ring fitting that is like the second link I posted above. I guess this is pretty common on the GM units.

Do you have the old lines? If not, try confirming what the threads are by taking a flare nut (I think they are 11/16 & 5/8) & threading them into the ports just to confirm the threads...