• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost with drivers side EFI

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Do any of you guys have a 5.0 EFI with driver side throttle and hydroboost brakes? I'm trying to figure out if my EFI is going to interfere with the hydroboost if I leave the throttle on the drivers side. I don't have the body on the frame right now or it would be easy to test fit it. If I have to reverse the throtle 180 degrees, I would rather do it now while the engine is out. Any pics would be awesome. Thanks.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i had the intake facing the DS (speed density crown vic) and there was no way it would work. the MC would be right in the middle of the air tube from the filter. even with a 2" body lift - no go! tried to 180 it but the fuel pressure regulator sits too high so i got a 1" phenolic spacer kit from summit. you'll also need to rearrange the wiring for the tps and air bypass as well as a longer throttle cable (i grabbed one from a newer crown vic with a 4.6) i also flipped the vacuum tree around. the oil filler breather tube on the intake is just a press fit and can be spun 180 to face the front again. even with the whole thing turned around, it's tight. JBG's kit uses the stock type power brake booster to put the whole thing out over the fenderwell and may be a great solution. i'm also planning to go hydroboost shopping at the local pull-it yard soon.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
An alternative to the phenolic spacer is to find a fuel rail from a car with passenger side t/b. Apart from the obvious hassle of having to run the fuel lines to a different point on the frame rails it's a drop-in replacement.

blackjack

Loc.
San Diego
efi

I have the mustang intake it's on the passenger side and I can't get the hydro boost to mount up because it hits the upper plenuim. So I traced out the power booster bracket and I am going to make one and mount the hydro boost directly to that.

If I can get to it this weekend I will post the exact layout for the power booster bracket so you can make one.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
blackjack said:
I have the mustang intake it's on the passenger side and I can't get the hydro boost to mount up because it hits the upper plenuim. So I traced out the power booster bracket and I am going to make one and mount the hydro boost directly to that.

If I can get to it this weekend I will post the exact layout for the power booster bracket so you can make one.

Really? I have an Explorer intake and it clears fine. What booster do you have? Usually with external accumulator boosters people mount them with the reservoir up and on the drivers side of the engine compartment. Oh yeah, one other detail- shift the entire thing towards the drivers side a bit. It won't be concentric with the hole in the firewall anymore, but it will work fine. I think if you do a search on hydroboost on this site you'll find some pics, otherwise I have some on my computer at work. It's nice to have it mounted straight to the firewall. Really opens up a lot of precious space over the drivers fenderwell. At least if you have as much crap under the hood as I do.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
blackjack said:

Blackjack

Here is a picture of my 351 and hydroboost installed. LOTS of room, I am curious why you have to make a bracket
TOFIC

Attachments

• Hydroboost-in-far-shot.JPG
    Hydroboost-in-far-shot.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 116
M

Miley

I've got a ton of pics posted on my website under Tech and Hydroboost.

Pics are of a 91 GT HO with hydroboost from an '03 GM 3500HD Diesel. (Hydratech Setup)

Link is in my sig.

James

heylouie00

I also have the explorer intake & a custom bracket...I posted some pics here...

http://www.broncofix.com/viewtopic.php?t=5004&highlight=

The slots for the mounting of the bracket to the firewall were added for intake clearance (to shift it towards the driver side as Lars mentioned)

Also, I made the bracket because I didn't want to screw into the firewall...

--Craig

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all of the reply and pictures guys. I really appriciate the help. I have a standard 5.0 from a crown vic, not explorer, GT and not a 351. Does anyone have a standard 5.0 with hydro brakes?

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
blackjack said:

Here is a picture of one that I found. I don't recall where the picture came from though, so sorry I can't give the proper credit to who did this. This gets it out of the way nicely. A pattern would be great!! ;)

Attachments

• hyroboostmountedatangle-sm.jpg
    hyroboostmountedatangle-sm.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 110

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
crawln68 said:
Here is a picture of one that I found. I don't recall where the picture came from though, so sorry I can't give the proper credit to who did this. This gets it out of the way nicely. A pattern would be great!! ;)

That is about the only option I see as working well with a driver's side EFI intake like you mention. That sure looks like the new Duff's h-boost setup to me: angled bracket, internal accumulator booster, and OVERPRICED :).

But what interests me more is the glimpse of the engine that's in that truck........don't know my late model stuff well enough but it's definitely something with individual coil packs. LS1? Where DID that picture come from?

Todd Z.

OP
OP
crawln68

crawln68

Bronco Guru
toddz69 said:
That is about the only option I see as working well with a driver's side EFI intake like you mention. That sure looks like the new Duff's h-boost setup to me: angled bracket, internal accumulator booster, and OVERPRICED :).

But what interests me more is the glimpse of the engine that's in that truck........don't know my late model stuff well enough but it's definitely something with individual coil packs. LS1? Where DID that picture come from?

Todd Z.

Yeah I noticed the engine too. Unfortunately I don't remember where I got the picture from. ?:? I was just doing some research on this subject and came across it somewhere along the way, so I saved it for future reference. Maybe someone will recognize it here and lets us know whose it is.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
toddz69 said:

Todd Z.

Or maybe a Ford modular motor?

Todd Z.

blackjack

Loc.
San Diego
hydro boost

the hydro boost I have is out of a 76 lincoln. The problem seems like the ears where the master cylinder bolts to hit the upper EFI plenuim. Maybe I didn't look at it good enough I have th master cylinder off I will try it again tonight and see how it lines up.

How come no one has drawn up a PDF with a template of the bracket for this Lincoln boost to fit. I can do this if any one is happy to send all the info. Just depends if you all want to share it or not.

M

Miley

Pics

OOOOPS!! I just realized you were saying driver side throttle body!! My bad.

Oh well, here are the pics anyway.

91 5.0 HO with Hydroboost:

Attachments

• hb6001.jpg
    hb6001.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 54
  • hb6002.jpg
    hb6002.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 49
  • hb6003.jpg
    hb6003.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 55