• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I bought a donor vehicle for my 5.0 EFI Swap!!!

msweb

Bronco Guru
It's a 90 F150, 5.0 with an automatic. The trans seems to be shot (just slips) but after a boost, the motor fired right up and runs smoothly! At Idle, it seems like the idle speed is too low so I'm hoping a good old fashion tune-up fixes that problem. Supposeldy, it's a remanufactured engine with 60K on it.... We've all heard that one before %)

It has A/C and power windows which I wish I could figure out out how to keep, a straight body and a good set of Mickey Thompson 32" Radial MTX tires on M/T "Classic II" wheels that will wind up on my 97 F150, assuming they're the same bolt pattern ;D

So, now I have my engine, wiring harness, ECU and inertia switch. I believe I'll also have an intake off a T-bird/Cougar to take care of the hood clearance problem.

Now... What else will I need? Inline fuel pump, return line to the gas tank, all new gaskets for heads, valve cover, intake, oil pan. New plugs while it's easy to get to them... I have a set of Headers for the Bronco that I hope will bolt right up... New 02 sensors? What else?

Attachments

• Donor Vehicle.jpg
    Donor Vehicle.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 45

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The wheels won't (or shouldn't) fit your '97 unfortunately. The '90 is the old 5 on 5.5 like the Bronco and F150, but when they went to the new body style in '97, they also switched to a metric bolt pattern and hub-centric wheels. 5 on 135mm I think, and too small a hub bore.
But who knows? If it's an early enough '97, maybe it'll still have the old bolt-pattern.

Glad the motor runs good though! That's a bonus. Don't forget to change the oil when you do the swap!

Paul

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
You can use all of the wiring and module. Leave it a batch firing setup with the Cougar/Tbird intake. It shouldnt take much altering to get it all working. The A/C may sit up too high to fit under hood. I think its an FS4 compressor. If thats the case you might have to change to Couger/Tbird components.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
You can use all of the wiring and module. Leave it a batch firing setup with the Cougar/Tbird intake. It shouldnt take much altering to get it all working. The A/C may sit up too high to fit under hood. I think its an FS4 compressor. If thats the case you might have to change to Couger/Tbird components.

Ok, at least there was SOME good news even though I'm not sure I understand about the"batch firing setup". Silly me thought the firing order was the same. I'm still reading up on past threads though so who knows, I may actually figure something out! %)

As for early production on my 97 F150, I ordered it from the dealer in February of 1997 if I remember correctly. My luck they'd already switched by then. They could always be street tires for the Bronco! :cool:

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Ok, at least there was SOME good news even though I'm not sure I understand about the"batch firing setup". Silly me thought the firing order was the same. I'm still reading up on past threads though so who knows, I may actually figure something out! %)

As for early production on my 97 F150, I ordered it from the dealer in February of 1997 if I remember correctly. My luck they'd already switched by then. They could always be street tires for the Bronco! :cool:

Remember me talking about bank fired injectors verses sequential? He is talking about the injectors not the plugs.

I would start a new thread asking who has done a efi swap using the truck ecm and harness.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It has A/C and power windows which I wish I could figure out out how to keep...
Not difficult at all. Look at the Interior Panels album in Frank's truck.

...a good set of Mickey Thompson 32" Radial MTX tires on M/T "Classic II" wheels that will wind up on my 97 F150, assuming they're the same bolt pattern
Nope. '97-02 uses 5x137mm; '66-96 uses 5x5.5", so there's a big market for them if you don't put them on the Bronco. If you ever come this way (like for OCBR), e-mail me about a trade.
What else will I need?
R exhaust manifold (unless the headers fit, but I don't recommend them anyway), radiator & hoses, and a deep commitment to wiring. :D
all new gaskets for heads, valve cover, intake, oil pan.
WHY would you change the HEAD gaskets??? Yes to everything else on that list.
New 02 sensors?
There's only 1, and no: don't change it unless it fails a published test.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Remember me talking about bank fired injectors verses sequential? He is talking about the injectors not the plugs.

I would start a new thread asking who has done a efi swap using the truck ecm and harness.

Yeah, I did some more reading last night until my head hurt... I did recall that later, firing as a group vs. sequential. Only issue now will be how to go from Speed Density to the MAF. Someone said something about a MAF Conversion Harness? David says the MAF harness is intact on the intake so that's a good thing. We won't have to come up with much!

STEVE - I can see me picking your brain frequently on this swap! Thanks for the answers and I'll check the photos. Head gasket - just thinking while it's out of the vehicle replace all gaskets. Those came to mind as did "blown head gasket".

I'll admit, the thought of the computer, sensors and wiring has me terrified but after being immersed in it long enough I'm sure some of it will make sense.

I hope we'll make OCBR but no promises. If so, and I don't use the tires, we can definitly discuss something. You're always welcome in Mid Tenn to ya know, I'll even spring for the Memphis BBQ if you want to bring it!

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
After boosting the truck again and adding some ATF, we drove it onto the trailer and I brought her home. Next step -- Demo! ;D

Attachments

• Truck on Trailer2.jpg
    Truck on Trailer2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Tire.jpg
    Tire.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I have family in Spring Hill & Oak Ridge, so I've been known to fly past Lebanon. No tickets there yet... :D

Mt. Juliet is where they'll nail you. Even the City police stop folks on the interstate and they'll nail ya for 3 over!

Stop by next time, I'd love to meet ya!

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
Ok, on further thought.........

If I switch to the 89 5.0 HO intake that came off of the Cougar, keep the Speed Density and do not use the MAF, will the intake swap conflict with the Speed Density?

Can I use the larger injectors?

I really fear any commitment to wiring.........

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The intake swap doesn't "conflict" with anything - it's purely geometric so the thing will fit under the hood.

Larger isn't better. MATCHED is better. Use the injectors, sensors, & wiring that go with the EEC you're using. You'll have to untape the harness & rearrange it to fit on the different intake, and you might even have to extend a few wires. Same for the vacuum lines. But keep a copy of the vacuum map from the donor vehicle & route yours to match.

mcdobson

Loc.
Sacramento
As far as the power windows go, I pulled the entire system out of an 89.
It was all bundled separately and came out very easy. Just pull the dash out and the window wiring is strapped to the firewall. It all came out in one piece and all it takes is one power and one ground.

OP
OP
msweb

msweb

Bronco Guru
ok, the swap has begun!

Is it ok if we don't use the EGR valve or the Thermactor? I won't have a place on my headers for the down tube from the EGR and I forget what the thermactor thing is but Anthony wants to know if we can delete it... ?:?

If we don't use one/both of them, is it best to just leave it and not hook it up, take it off totally or hook up the computer to it so it knows it's there even though it isn't doing anything?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
The car intake should have the EGR tube built-in, and I recommend keeping ALL the emissions systems working properly. Read this.

"Thermactor" = catalytic converter. You're probably talking about the secondary air pump. If you install a modern aftermarket hi-flow cat, they typically don't require 2ndry air because of a new chemical, but the engine still needs upstream air (the crossover pipe on the backs of the heads). So try to install that system, too. You can delete the TAD hose & just let the 2ndry air vent from it.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Steve83,
I really don't think we need anymore of your "expert advise" anymore. Please refrain from replying to anymore of mike's post. Thank you.

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Do you have some authority here that I should be aware of? I'm sure he's capable of letting me know if my contributions don't interest him any more. If you have some "expert" opinions that you think are relevant, post 'em up.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
Thermactor was equipped on non Calif cars back in '68. They didnt have cats then. Unless your state requires any emmissions, get rid of it all. Seriously keep reading and looking at your components and reading some more before getting too deep in teardown. Its so easy to rip everything apart and then the project ends up "R.I.P" The stock truck injectors are same as HO Mustang. You shouldnt need to change much more than fuel rail and upper/lower intakes from the car. Tbird/Cougar standard or HO motors have throttle body mounted to the passanger side. Pull all of the needed swap over parts from same vehicle. Stay with speed density and truck wiring unless you want to acquire all of the complete wiring from the donor car. If its a Tbird/ Cougar, I will warn you now, its a major pain to remove the whole harness completely intact. Then the majority of it will get chunked. You need to get a wiring diagram of the donor truck and compare to the generic RJM diagram. Not really that much is different. MAP instead of MAF and BAP, and fewer wires for injectors.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
Msweb is using the wiring harness and engine from the 1990 f150. The only reason for the intake swap is just to clear the hood. He is not using anything else from the cougar.