• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I got fuel system problems… any advice?

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
I have a ’77 just completed 2 yr restoration and now she looks brand new – very happy with the work. 302 with stock carburetor.

It was at a body shop for 8 months… they did a fantastic job. Ran perfect before I took it in. Now stalls every 1-10 miles. Just dies. I have to pull off the road… And I could be on a street or hwy – it does not matter.

The day I drove it back from the shop to my place it was stalling on every block (never did that before) … I thought no fuel but the tanks were full. Then I thought fuel filter – so I changed it. And it had tons of crap in it – totally blocked! Then the pump went bad (I’m thinking the filter failed) – changed that and STILL it stalled and would die. So I had the carburetor cleaned out (thinking gunk got into the jets) and it ran perfect for about 100 miles.

Now I’m back to stalling every 1-10 miles…. And it might take 2 minutes to get it re-started but when it comes back it feels very strong. I even added an extra filter (clear – still looks good) before the tank switch just to make sure no crap gets to the pump or jets.

Today I noticed the hose leading to the intake side of the pump was failing so I replaced it thinking that it would let just enough air into the system to cause a stall. But about 20 minutes ago it happened again! As usual it started back up in a minute or two and off to my home I went with no incident.

It seems to help when I am stalled to switch tanks… she starts right up (like today). But then I stalled on the aux tank too. I think this is just me and that the tank switching does absolutely nothing expect make me feel better.

I thought I pretty much cleared out the fuel system, so am I missing something? Do I need to blow out all of the fuel lines? I guess when it happens to me again I can check to see if any fuel is coming from the jets, right?

Could this be anything else?

My feeling is gunk got to the carburetor. I’m also 7k feet up in Tahoe but I never had these problems before. So what else can I do that I haven’t already? I am about to change the main fuel filter again… maybe that caught more crap?

Anybody with suggestions?

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Is it running ok when it does run?
It sounds like you may have a bad ignition module. When they go bad it takes a little time for the defective components to fail. After they cool down a bit it will run again. I've only lost one since I bought my '77 new but I keep a spare tucked away in the car all the time.

Bucky

Loc.
New Bern, NC
I had this problem and it was trash in the fuel tanks! If is sat for 8 months, maybe worth looking at!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If it is dieing like you turned the key off look at the ignition module, common problem.

If it dies slowly, power fads out, spits and sputters, pumping the throttle will give a little stumble of life for a moment, then keep persuing the fuel issue

408mako

Fuel Pressure

Whats your fuel pressure first?? What type of fuel pump do you have? Man?/electric?
Also have you drained the tanks? If it was at the body shop they could of taken the gas caps of and did a bad job masking it off? Primer sanding dust, wet sand ext...

OP
OP
mikemc

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
it runs terrific! Actually 2 minutes after I need to re-start it runs like nothing happened. I will check this - thanks!

OP
OP
mikemc

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
what a pain in the ass. I didn't want to hear this. But I think you are right. It is the only part of the system I did not replace. thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Ditto on the dirty fuel tanks. There is usually a small sock type filter on the end of the fuel pickup in the tank they tend to plug up after a little running if the tank is full of crap. since your other filter was dirty I would suspect that if that dont fix it. Then look to your iginition module.

OP
OP
mikemc

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
man pump - and its new. The shop did most of the work last year - drove it a season and no probs. It wa sonly this last time at the ship did it tirn. But I think something - dust - crap in the air - something got to it. I have not cleaned out the tanks... but i've taken care of the rest so how can the tanks still effect? New pump, an extra filter before the tank switch, new stock filter and gas lines...

OP
OP
mikemc

mikemc

Loc.
Lake Tahoe
i will check tomorrow the igin module. "a small sock type filter on the end of the fuel pickup in the tank" so I need to check this.... thanks

OX1

Bronco Guru
i will check tomorrow the igin module. "a small sock type filter on the end of the fuel pickup in the tank" so I need to check this.... thanks

It's not a sock (like the newer vehicles), more like a tube with a screen around it, but mine was shot and was letting all kinds of junk through. I finally pulled the tank yesterday, pretty sure I got it mostly cleaned out. I am going to put an glass, cleanable inline filter before the pump for while to monitor how much junk is coming out of the tank (and try to keep any more junk out of my fuel pump).

I do agree if it just shuts off, it's probably not fuel.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Hope you mount that glass filter good so it doesnt flop around and break. I know a guy that installed one before his carb and burnt down a almost new 74 bronco. I'd just get one of the clear or almost clear plastic filters.
Any old vehicle tends to have a lot of dirt/crap in there tanks over the years it builds up especailly today it seems few gas station put filters on the pumps anymore so you can get dirt from there. Also if its a metal tank it could be rusty inside. Other people have found all kinds of things in there tanks seems childern like to put stuff in the tank(pencils army men, balls, the list goes on)

bludorbronc

If it is the pick-up filter ,you can take a line off and blow back into the tank and it may dislodge the crud for awhile just make sure the caps are off and the tanks are not full.Maybe you will get lucky and it will blow the sock off and you can rely on outside filters. But be carefull it can be dangerous.